Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Credit card warning

(6 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 16-Dec-18 08:15:25

I arrived home yesterday after a lovely Christmas lunch out to find a letter from my bank. It stated that they thought there had been fraudulent transactions on my credit card. Panic. (The letter was obviously OK by the way). I phoned the number given and was taken through a few security questions. I was impressed by these. They weren't the usual ones and a fraudster couldn't have answered them. I won't say what they were as you never know who's reading threads these days!
Anyway, it turns out that all the transactions were my own. However, one was for a hotel reservation and the bank had declined it. This was what had triggered the account check. Apparently, there's a lot of fraudulent transactions re holiday bookings right now. Anyone booking a holiday and using a card to pay should be super sure the website or phone number is exactly what it's supposed to be before giving the card details.
Today's task for me will be to get back to that hotel and confirm that booking and that the card won't be declined!

Maggiemaybe Sun 16-Dec-18 08:35:54

It’s reassuring that banks are on the ball. I remember being a bit irked with mine though when they saw my paying a Center Parcs balance as suspicious activity and blocked it when I’d paid the deposit with the same card a few months earlier!

EllanVannin Sun 16-Dec-18 08:38:29

I have used the same bank since 1960 and up to date have been very lucky with all transactions as by now they would know my spending habits etc and I'm almost sure that if there was any jiggery pokery going on I'd be told post haste.

Jane10 Sun 16-Dec-18 09:11:54

This time of year lots of additional spending is going on on all sorts of unusual things. I've very often made credit card bookings for hotels and holidays in general. It's never come up as a problem before.
My debit card was cloned once after I used an ATM but luckily I check my account online very regularly and spotted a charge I definitely hadn't made. The bank's fraud dept was very good and refunded the money and issued another card. I noticed that the particular ATM that I'd used was replaced very soon after I was affected. I suspect I wasn't the only victim.

M0nica Mon 17-Dec-18 08:38:09

The banks have systems that highlight any unusual spending and I have had phone calls to confirm that a purchase I have made is genuine.

Some years ago DD's card was intercepted and stolen in the post. The first she knew of it was a phone call from her credit card issuer asking if she had bough some very expensive hi-fi kit for delivery to an address four streets away. When she said 'no'. The transaction was cancelled and she collected her replacement card from her local bank branch rather than it being posted to her.

Nandalot Mon 17-Dec-18 09:12:00

We had th opposite. I booked accommodation for a big family get together next summer. I filled in all the details, using DH’s card that we always use for online purchases. I hadn’t realised that the website had filled in my name as the card holder. Silly I know. I rang them in a panic, but apparently the payment had gone through without a hitch. Name and number not match8ng didn’t make a difference!