Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Deep poll change of name costs

(12 Posts)
H1954 Fri 21-Dec-18 00:02:28

I'm thinking of changing my name by deed poll to that of my partner. I have a "complex" will and a property trust in my present name. I know I will have to change passport, drivers licence bank details etc and wondered if anyone on GN had a notion what it might ultimately cost?

tanith Fri 21-Dec-18 07:05:06

It costs £36 to change your name by deed poll but make sure you use the government website to do it not one of these firms which are around. Not sure what other costs ther would be I can’t think of any.

CassieJ Fri 21-Dec-18 08:12:56

I changed my name by deed poll about 6 years ago. It was only around £30. As Tanith says make sure you use a reputable site, there are many others who will charge you hundreds. It really doesn't cost that much.

Make sure that you get official copies of the deed poll as many places want the official ones and not just photocopied letters.

yggdrasil Fri 21-Dec-18 09:09:55

I did it back in January. It isn't expensive but very time consuming. You need at least 4 authorised copies, most places will return them but one of mine got lost in the post. But I had paid for all to go 'signed for' in case.
The bank requires you actually go into a branch, not that easy these days.
The form you get from the govt website will have a long list of most the places you will have to contact, you can tick them off one at a time. You have to add anything else personal like club membership etc.

Magrithea Fri 21-Dec-18 10:07:42

When you google changing your name the first two sites are both paid ads and will charge you!! Make sure you use the .gov.uk one - www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

jusnoneed Fri 21-Dec-18 10:21:20

I changed mine back to maiden name about 12 years ago, cost £10 using online site, they printed original and I got it witnessed. Everyone was happy to have photocopies then, maybe different now. But I know the bank/tax office etc never asked for anything other than copy.

I vowed I would never change my name again, even if I got married lol.

Sweetie222 Fri 21-Dec-18 11:08:32

It need't cost anything. Use this site or similar freedeedpoll.org/ .

I did this very successfuly quite recently; when sending one off the post office wanted me to pay insurance in case it got lost!

Use thick posh paper to add authenticity. Another benefit to doing it yourself is that you can have as many original copies as your witnesses are willing to sign!

David1968 Fri 21-Dec-18 14:41:23

H1954, you say that you are "thinking about changing" your name. Perhaps, on reflection, it would be easier just keep your current surname? Some of the procedures for changing one's name, as outlined by GNs here, sound straightforward enough but I wonder about the legal side. (I know how "picky" some legal issues can become, regarding names, and you mention having a "complex will".) Just a thought!

H1954 Fri 21-Dec-18 15:53:01

Thank you everyone for your feedback; I certainly do not want to keep my present name for many personal reasons. I now know the channels I need to pursue, DVLA is free of charge, passport is cost of new issue, banks and finance are reasonably straightforward and there's no charge for the Land Registry either. Just took a couple of phone calls.

GabriellaG54 Sat 22-Dec-18 00:51:15

H1954
One wonders why you asked in the first place...

GabriellaG54 Sat 22-Dec-18 19:11:00

H1954
Thank you for your view.
None of the 6 replies between your first and second posts, gave you the answer you requested, and those who mentioned the cost of their own change of name, referred to costs incurred 6 or more years ago, nothing current.
That is why I wondered why you asked as, in two phone calls, you achieved your desired outcome without resorting to any advice in those 6 posts.
If you thought my response was too abrupt (rude is something else altogether) then I will refrain from commenting on anything you may post in the future.
smile

Miep1 Sun 23-Dec-18 10:54:19

I found the wording on the Internet somewhere, wrote it out myself and had it notarised for £5. Have passport, bank and everything else in new name; no problems