Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Nursery fees.

(7 Posts)
dbDB77 Mon 21-Jan-19 11:54:26

There's free childcare for low income families but also there's tax-free childcare for those with higher incomes (up to £100,000) - try www.gov.uk/tax-free-childcare

tanith Mon 21-Jan-19 11:07:46

Sorry posted to soon,
she didn’t want to risk her job by taking more time off or asking for part time.

tanith Mon 21-Jan-19 11:06:32

My GS and his wife have to pay £1100 per month for their daughter 5 days a week it’s the majority of his wife’s salary and she’s been sick so many days since starting back in September. The cost is prohibitive I agree but when there is no alternative what choice is there? As PECS says his wife has a job she loves and it requires her to work full time.

PECS Mon 21-Jan-19 09:42:30

www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs this might give you some answers.

However, returning to work after parental leave may not be for immediate financial benefit. Long gaps in work history may make it harder to return later. It is a sort of long term investment. Not saying it is right or wrong just a fact.

EllanVannin Mon 21-Jan-19 09:26:01

I think it depends on financial circumstances whether they'd get help with nursery fees.

Granarchist Mon 21-Jan-19 09:25:31

depends on the age of the child. From 3 they get 15 hours a week paid for but this is not always the full cost of those hours - depends on the nursery.

Bopeep14 Mon 21-Jan-19 09:14:28

My son works full time and his other half has just increased her hours to full time. I already have my grandchild three days a week. I now have him five days until they put him in nursery for two days. I have googled nursery fees and they are £57 a day. What I was wondering is will they get any help towards these fees or will they have to pay the whole amount themselves. It seems crazy for them to work full time just for there wage to go into paying nursery fees.