Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

House/building insurance

(13 Posts)
Jaxjacky Mon 28-Jan-19 11:43:47

Morning all, that time again, any recommendations please? I’ve had a look on comparison sights and my renewal, from my bank seems very expensive. Thank you

FlexibleFriend Mon 28-Jan-19 11:50:04

I've just swapped yet again buildings and contents with my bank Lloyds who did a very good deal 50% cheaper than other quotes.

Liz46 Mon 28-Jan-19 11:54:14

Our insurance was put up at renewal time. I got other quotes and M&S were good. I phoned our old company to cancel the renewal but they matched M&S! It was easier to stick with the old company but we all need to take care.

M0nica Mon 28-Jan-19 16:09:10

Just check very carefully that the new insurer offers everything your previous one did.

We nearly got caught that way. It was some years ago our insurer was taken over and the new owner of our insurer boasted that it would halve our premium without changing the terms of the insurance, but when you read the small print, while the basics remained the same, all sorts of new conditions had been introduced and quite a lot of small print extras were no longer available.

HildaW Mon 28-Jan-19 16:16:59

We like NFU especially as they still have friendly offices where you can go and have a proper chat.....especially useful if your requirements are not your basic standard type.

Anja Mon 28-Jan-19 16:32:29

It’s not just the cost though is it? We had a fire in 2015 and that’s one company I’d not use again. Even though we were ‘well insured’ it was a nightmare and I had to fight for every penny.

Check online reviews first. And see who under-rights the company.

HildaW Mon 28-Jan-19 16:53:20

Anja, Very true. The true test of any company is what happens when there is a claim or a problem....that's when you know how good they are. Its very important to know exactly what is covered and under what circumstances. One of the annoying ones is the differing levels of security required. You think you have found a good value policy only to read later that you pretty much have to ensure all windows are locked with special devices every time you leave the house.

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Jan-19 17:24:53

Thankyou for comments, interestingingly, having done some research today: M and S, AA, and my existing Santander all underwritten by Aviva. Quotes range from 116, to 336 (existing) maybe lower on some as am ‘new customer. Just shows, am checking T’s and C’s very carefully...

grannyticktock Mon 04-Feb-19 16:46:26

Don't be talked into paying for extras you don't need. I have decided that I can afford to meet minor repairs etc, and need cover mainly against a major loss such as fire or burglary. I have, however, taken out Home Emergency Cover this time, to cover failure of boiler, toilet plumbing, etc. I'm with Direct Line who seem very reasonable but I don't know what they're like if you have to claim. Even if you look at reviews, they're often based on how easy it is to take out the insurance, or what the price is, rather than how they handle claims.

mumofmadboys Mon 04-Feb-19 16:51:59

NFU seem very good. We saved a lot when we changed to them

GrandmaKT Mon 04-Feb-19 17:30:16

We've been with Tesco for the last few years. They are very good for customer service and answering the phone reasonably promptly. However, the premium has risen a lot this year and they can't match quotes I've had from the meercats, so I'll be changing.

Chewbacca Mon 04-Feb-19 17:39:46

I received my renewal quote last week and noticed that it had gone up by £40 from last year , despite a "no claim bonus". When I phoned them to query this, they immediately wiped the £40 off and said they only remove price increases "upon request"! How mad is that!

Jaxjacky Mon 04-Feb-19 17:57:32

Thanks all, eventually went with M and S £135 instead of previous £315.