Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

every month, more coming in or more going out. Forward planning

(8 Posts)
craftyone Tue 05-Feb-19 10:44:15

I am with haliax banking and only yesterday noticed the simple red and blue lines when I clicked on past statements. January that blue line was longer than red but there are many months in the past few years when red was longer than blue and then I always evened up by dipping into savings

craftyone Tue 05-Feb-19 10:53:39

So I was suddenly widowed 4 years ago after 45 years and it took a few years to get through what is called `widows brain`. At first for a long time, savings did not mean anything, so I gave money away to AC and bought some large items. Only a year ago I decided to stop, to take stock of my savings and pensions and to plan ahead, starting with moving house, which is on-going

The cash safety net was put into place, having planned for the bills for a whole year. I never got into debt at any stage but the savings were running down too fast. I need to plan for `what if` such as what if I need help in the house, maybe need care when I am old

I still use `I want` not `I need` when it comes to crafting supplies. That is stopping, my stashes are large. I have a spreadsheet and can see my incomings and outgoings ahead but the halifax blue and red lines really do put the spotlight on my cashflow. £200 blue surplus in january but my cc is still at £800, I can do it, can pay it the cc down in february but the belt will be tightened and I will just shave a bit off every week. Never say never, maybe this month I will still have to use savings but next month has no big bills and I can perhaps replace

Izabella Tue 05-Feb-19 11:17:50

hmm

janeainsworth Tue 05-Feb-19 13:22:01

Well done crafty.
Being in control of your finances reduces a lot of stress, and the first step in control is knowing what’s coming in to your account and what’s going out.

megan123 Tue 05-Feb-19 19:30:03

You are doing well craft. I picked up the saying "only buy what you need, not what you want" from here a while back, and promptly sent back a bagful of clothes that I had ordered on line! I say it to myself quite regularly now.

Just keep "chipping away" at it, you can do it.

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Feb-19 19:47:28

Can you sell any of your crafted items craftygran?

The only way I can avoid buying more to 'stash' is to go nowhere near a craft or yarn shop.

Well done having a spreadsheet!
And at least you have some savings, a small cushion

smile

jeanie99 Sat 16-Feb-19 23:41:20

Craftyone,
Apologies if you are aware of all of this but just trying to help.
Are you making the most of your income and capital.
There are current accounts which pay interest and don't charge fees are you making the most of these.
Interest can range from 1.5% to 5% but with different balances.
You will need 2 to 3 direct debits for these accounts but we will receive interest on the balance.
Some current accounts will allow you to save monthly in a saving account up to 5% (2.23%) this is a good rate.
Using your spreadsheets do some forecasting.
Knowing all the standing orders and direct debits and payments you make each month list these in the spreadsheet include all monthly income pulling down a formula at the balance column and this will show you weeks ahead where you stand.
Each month or whenever balance you spreadsheet to your account with the bank.
Make the most of the best interest rates for capital and don't be afraid to move money for a better deal. Fixed rate and term offer the best deals.
Use credit cards which give rewards or cashback but pay off monthly
Spread the cost of general rates and water rates over the 12 months, instead of the 10 and 8 months which is used. They will be quite happy to alter this for you.
Pay regular costs by direct debit as long as they don't make a charge for this.
If you travel get the best card for that Barclays are good.
If you are going to use a debit card abroad always check with your bank the cost of using it, taking currency is often the best bet.
Best of luck

chelseababy Sun 17-Feb-19 08:09:44

There is a useful spreadsheet on moneysavingexpert.com which allows you to enter all income and expenditure. Gives the bigger picture and shows where to make possible cut backs.