Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

How to get a copy of my Deeds

(14 Posts)
jeanie99 Sat 16-Feb-19 21:39:19

We bought our property 12 years ago and can't remember having ever received the Deeds to our home.
I rang the solicitor who did the legal work for us but he said they do not have them adding that we don't need them to sell.
We don't want to sell but we would very much like to know where our deeds are.
The Deeds to our home before this were kept in our solicitors strong room.
Is it possible to get a copy of Deeds?
Does anyone know.

Niobe Sat 16-Feb-19 21:41:36

I think you can get them from the Land Registry.

MawBroon Sat 16-Feb-19 21:45:31

Do you still have a mortgage?
If so the lender on your house may be holding them.

Coolgran65 Sat 16-Feb-19 22:17:04

Land Registry has details but don’t reckon they’d have full set of Deeds.

If you have a mortgage the provider will have the deeds.

If you don’t have a mortgage ....
The solicitor would have had the deeds to do the conveyance. If he does not have them he should have a record of who he gave them to. Either a cover letter sending them to whomever. Or a receipt signed by yourself when he gave them to you.

If he cannot say what he has done with the deeds with paper trail proof then it looks like he has lost/mislaid them. In this case he should obtain for you a duplicate set of deeds at his own expense.

jeanie99 Sat 16-Feb-19 23:14:00

Collfran65
No we don't have a mortgage and I don't believe the Land Registry have copies of Deeds they only register the title.

I said to the solicitor he must have had the deeds to do the conveyancing work but he just replied we don't have them.
I think they are trying to fob me off, the Deeds have to be somewhere.
To get a copy there would have to be details of the history of the property where would this be kept does anyone know, I have no idea at all.

FountainPen Sat 16-Feb-19 23:21:32

This is from:

hmlandregistry.blog.gov.uk/2018/02/19/title-deeds/

If the property was already registered when you bought it, the seller may not have handed over the original deeds. There’s no requirement for them to do so. Tracing the original deeds for a property that has been bought and sold many times is likely to be an impossible task.

jeanie99 Sat 16-Feb-19 23:56:28

Our property was built around 1970 I believe there were four people living here before us so it is not very old.
I'm going to check out all the correspondence we received tomorrow, I have it filed away.
My understanding is that all properties are registered but I didn't know that a property could be sold without Deeds.
Where did you get this information from? How long as this been the case?
We have always had Deeds for all the properties we have sold, the solicitor always requested them from us.
Clearly there as been some changes.

FountainPen Sun 17-Feb-19 00:24:13

Only about 85% of land and property in England and Wales is registered. Land Registry have about 25 million registered titles. Much of what is unregistered belongs to the Crown, the Church or the aristocracy and remains unregistered because it has never been sold.

hmlandregistry.blog.gov.uk/2018/02/05/search-owner-unregistered-land/

The information in my earlier posts also comes from Land Registry as per the link. Do follow that. It has lots of useful information including whether LR may have a scanned copy of the deeds.

mumofmadboys Sun 17-Feb-19 06:53:01

I understood deeds are now electronic so you don't get paper copies anymore.

cornergran Sun 17-Feb-19 07:02:32

It was as mumofmadboys says when we moved 6 years ago, no problems with the conveyancing.

jeanie99 Sun 17-Feb-19 15:53:41

Thank you everyone much appreciated for the information you have given me.

M0nica Sun 17-Feb-19 18:37:14

Nowadays one doesn't have deeds, unless your house hasn't been sold for 50 years or more. All records of ownership etc are kept electronically by the Land Registry.
When the system went entirely electronic, our building
society sent us all the deeds they had.

Sadly, although our house is 550 years old, the deeds only went back to 1926 because, although the house had been bought and sold over the years, the owner paid a nominal sum of money to the Lord of the Manor and any change in ownership was in the Manor records. In 1926, a change in the law of property, turned this type of 'tenancies' into freeholds for the 'tenants' at that time..

callgirl1 Thu 21-Feb-19 23:54:28

We bought our house in 1985, but didn`t see the deeds until we paid the mortgage off in 1996. They are now at the solicitor`s.

watermeadow Fri 22-Feb-19 19:00:03

My house is oldish but there are no deeds. When I asked the Land Registry I was sent a few documents from the 1980s.
Mine was only a labourer’s 2 Up 2 Down cottage so I guess it was included with others in the papers of the owner’s estate.