Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Dependent or not

(7 Posts)
marjoriew Sat 23-Feb-19 13:31:28

Hi, is there anyone who can clarify an issue I am having with the benefits people, please. My grandson is now 19 and will be 20 this year and will be 21 before he finishes his course. He is a full time college student and is being classed as a dependent. My residence order was until he was 18. However, he still lives with me. My child benefit was stopped last September because he started a new course. We currently live on my Pension Credit and I am struggling financially every week to the point where I am on anti depressants and I now have other health issues. The benefits people say I am not entitled to any money for him but I want to dispute this. Can anyone advise me. I can’t go on like this. I will be 71 in a few weeks and the whole situation is making me ill.

grannysue05 Sat 23-Feb-19 13:35:43

Marjorie what a stressful situation for you to be in.
Have you thought of going to AgeUK ?
They could look into the matter for you and advise.
Also, when you say Pension Credit, do you mean your Pension ?

Buffybee Sat 23-Feb-19 13:36:50

Probably the best people to ask about benefit entitlement would be the CAB.
Could your Grandson help out by getting a part-time job?

EllanVannin Sat 23-Feb-19 13:42:58

What a truly awful position for you. I'm not surprised you're depressed as I think the benefits situation is abysmal and it does make me wonder how some can sail through the system without any qualms. Give these clerks something " out of the ordinary " and they're stumped ! It then becomes easier for " computer to say no ".

I think as grannysue said, pay a visit to AgeUK or the CAB as I'm sure between the two they can sort something out.

MissAdventure Sat 23-Feb-19 15:12:54

marjorie
This may help you to get an idea.
Its very good.

www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=a4ee067a-41bc-4941-9f55-4082c08d23d1

grannyticktock Sun 24-Feb-19 20:15:16

I think it's probably true that there's no funding available for an 18+ dependent. It might be worth discussing the situation with your grandson. Many universities will have a fund to make payments to students on a low income, or they may be able to advise him as to what other help he can get. In any case, he should be entitled to a maintenance loan if about £7,000, and should be using some of this to pay you for his boards and lodgings. Repayments are income related, so he's not going to be faced with a huge bill.

Soupy Sun 24-Feb-19 20:23:26

It says he is at college full time, so maybe a late starter to the further education system? As opposed to a University student.

Would he be able to get a casual job for evenings/weekends to help with money?

It sounds as though you are both having to live on your State Pension, which is topped up with Pension Credits. Be a good idea as mentioned to check with CAB regarding either of you being entitled to any other benefits.