Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Council Tax Bill for 2019

(14 Posts)
paddyann Thu 28-Mar-19 10:31:21

We had a nine year council tax freeze here in Scotland so we really cant complain about it going up now.The Scottish government gave the councils extra cash to mitigate the effects of losing the "rise" in payments while mitigating the effects of austerity by freezing the CT.Sadly unlike Mrs May we dont have a magic money tree to pluck the odd billion or two from so its up to the councils to raise it as they see fit.
Housebuilding is the priority at the moment with new houses springing up on every piece of available ground ,thats because if the councils DONT use the funding meant for housing ON housing they'll have it taken off them and given to a council who is meeting their affordable housing targets .New houses of course mean more people paying council tax .

Greyduster Thu 28-Mar-19 08:46:58

Ours has gone up by the maximum of 6%. All these “fact finding” tours to foreign parts for councillors cost money, and I suppose the Lord Mayor has to have a generous allowance for the back to front baseball caps he wears.......?

cornergran Thu 28-Mar-19 08:33:44

2.7% here. Think we were lucky.

gillybob Thu 28-Mar-19 08:24:00

The situation remains that those in the poorest areas pay much more than those in the wealthier areas. Nothing changes .

craftyone Thu 28-Mar-19 08:01:20

3.3% up for me where I live now. Looks as though my new house banding will be 2 grades lower, I calculate £40 a month lower, fingers very much crossed

Scribbles Sat 23-Mar-19 12:21:31

Ours has increased by around 5%. Currently, we live in a Band C rated house in the North Kesteven DC area.

Out of interest, I Googled to find out what we would have been paying in our old home, a Band D house in the London Borough of Redbridge. To my chagrin, I discovered that Band D there is charged at approx. £60pa less than Band C here!!?confused. I hasten to add that I've no intention of moving back; quality of life here is such that it's well worth the extra!

EllanVannin Sat 23-Mar-19 11:33:47

Wirral here has also increased-5%. How they can justify that I don't know ! What they do with the money anyway is a mystery because every establishment is underfunded/closing or steadily going downhill----except the wages of those at the Town Hall of course and all their " meetings " which are held abroad !!

Charleygirl5 Sat 23-Mar-19 11:26:14

Harrow is obviously too shy to let us know how much it will be because nothing has arrived on my doorstep yet. They did say that it would be at least 5%. Surely there has to come a time when they cannot just ask for more money because so many are struggling as it is.

Witzend Sat 23-Mar-19 10:45:22

Ours has increased, I think by 5% - and we were already in one of the highest CT areas in the U.K. - if not THE highest. We are next door to one of the very lowest, too - outer SW London. There's a huge difference.

gillybob Sat 23-Mar-19 10:38:14

5.1% rise here on Tyneside . Disgusting, but the top executives in our LA need to be kept in the manner to which they have become VERY accustomed. Greedy FAT cats !

jeanie99 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:36:14

Tanith
My goodness yours is higher than ours!!
I always think the thing about rates (I know we need to pay them) but it's like a mortgage you never pay off and it increases every year, there is just no end to it.

tanith Sat 23-Mar-19 09:57:35

I’m in Ealing Greater London.

tanith Sat 23-Mar-19 09:56:57

Mines 5% rise works out at £160 more, scary stuff.

jeanie99 Sat 23-Mar-19 09:47:40

Just received out bill for this year with a 5.2% increase almost another £100 extra. We are in West Lindsey.
Just wondering how this pans out for others over the counties.