Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

good and reliable house and contents insurers

(16 Posts)
craftyone Wed 27-Mar-19 07:27:33

I need to get this sorted very soon, will be exchanging. Reliability is more important than cost

Anja Wed 27-Mar-19 07:47:25

We had a fire in 2015 and believe me you don’t find out until that happens what ends most insurers will go to to make life difficult.

It’s not jusr the insurers it is who underwrites them.

My advice for what it’s worth look at online review, read your small print. I can tell you which one to avoid.

craftyone Wed 27-Mar-19 09:08:56

ok underwriters, so which are good and which to avoid, please

M0nica Wed 27-Mar-19 17:30:35

Look up the price comparison sites and also a site like Moneysaving expert.

Here is the link you need:
www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/home-insurance

Also look at
www.telegraph.co.uk/insurance/home/big-insurers-likely-reject-home-insurance-claim/

Gonegirl Wed 27-Mar-19 17:36:23

And here is the website for who you will probably need, whichever one you choose. Arseholes. www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

Gonegirl Wed 27-Mar-19 17:37:19

Sorry. But insurance companies are a sore point at the moment.

craftyone Wed 27-Mar-19 21:40:16

I am boggled, my eyes are very tired, my new build postcode does not show up on some sites, some insures provide only the bare minimum. I was going to insure my folding bike too but would have to keep it locked to a concreted ring or something in the garage. I am going to tuck it into my kitchen and it will then be contents. I cannot be a**ed any longer and will be going with saga, more expensive but looks good and is something I have to have from exchange. What a palaver, been insured for 49 years with no claims but there is always the `what if`

grannyactivist Wed 27-Mar-19 21:57:02

I have spent a very long time investigating this as my own insurance runs out on April 1st. I have just insured with NFU Mutual who have a very good payout rate of 98% and the cost of my insurance has almost halved.

mumofmadboys Thu 28-Mar-19 06:02:33

I swopped to NGU a year ago too with huge savings

craftyone Thu 28-Mar-19 06:49:55

cold light of day and I will go with saga as soon as I get an exchange date. Probably will be overinsured but the premium will be the same for 3 years.I can cope with that and will maybe look around after that time

Iam64 Thu 28-Mar-19 07:41:44

we had a big claim after a house fire. We were with Direct Line who paid up and were not difficult about anything. About 8 years later the dish washer flooded the kitchen when we were out. They sent an assessor who said they'd replaced the kitchen/dining room floor along with the wooden floor in the hallway because they had been fitted together. Again, no difficulties. They aren't cheap but we've stayed with them because of reliability.

craftyone Fri 05-Apr-19 07:48:20

I rang direct line and went through everything with them Their garage contents was poor and that total included the special bikes, which I have insured. No contest when I looked at saga, their limits are very much higher both for build and contents and the policy is also £60 cheaper

Anja Fri 05-Apr-19 08:05:12

I was insured with Saga for the car when it was hit in a supermarket car park. We knew who was responsible (long story).

Very poor customer services, dragged on for five years until I emailed their CEO.

Apologies, my excess returned, chocolates and flowers which was lovely but I shouldn’t have had to go that high.

PernillaVanilla Tue 16-Apr-19 09:25:12

DH took a special deal with Halifax for our buildings and contents on the last renewal, it was very cheap and as he bought it through Lloyds he got an extra discount on top of that. Unfortunately we were burgled just before Christmas, one of a series of burglaries in this area where the kicked in the patio windows, ran straight upstairs and made off with a small amount of cash and all our jewellery. The assessors were meticulous and had a hard job working out new for old on a number of treasured family items.

I'm pleased to report that we got rather more than we anticipated and that they paid up for everything we claimed for (we were scrupulously honest in declaring things like broken clasps etc. )

This is a little example of an insurance company which is not one of the highly recommended ones usually can treat its customers well.

Gonegirl Tue 16-Apr-19 09:34:05

Churchill didn't pay out on our buildings claim.

craftyone Fri 19-Apr-19 09:12:53

Your post reminds me to get the photos done after I have moved, to evidence the things I own