Gransnet forums

Legal & money

Power of attorney

(9 Posts)
Squiffy Thu 04-Apr-19 11:21:19

^ This should not be a problem because you can still carry out his original wishes as the money is yours to do as you wish.^

I think I'm right in saying that, if you do this, it might mean the people you give it to end up paying Inheritance Tax as it wasn't given directly from the Will. May be worth checking that!

littleflo Thu 04-Apr-19 10:55:09

Carry out ‘his’ original wishes, that should have read

littleflo Thu 04-Apr-19 10:54:31

If you do not male new Wills everything in his Estate will go to you. This should not be a problem because you can still carry out in original wishes as the money is yours to do as you wish. Will making itself is not expensive just a few hundred pounds. I would contact AGEUK who have excellent service

Sparklefizz Wed 03-Apr-19 16:33:11

I am so sorry your partner is terminally ill. My very best wishes on getting married. flowers

Sparklefizz Wed 03-Apr-19 16:32:27

Wills are invalidated by marriage.
It also costs to change a name on a Power of Attorney, which I have looked into myself because one of my attorneys has reverted to her maiden name, and my solicitor says it will delay things if the time comes, and she then needs to dig out all her paperwork to prove who she was.

Grannyknot Wed 03-Apr-19 15:33:01

Nanny I'm so sorry that your partner is terminally ill.

You can definitely make changes (edit) a lasting Power of Attorney and I'm almost certain that includes a name change. You could write to them or look on the website.

I'm not sure about your Will but if you have already got one, it shouldn't cost the same large amount again just to change the name.

Our Wills are lodged with an attorney - I presume if it cost you a lot of money yours was also done via attorneys. They should be able to tell you.

Good wishes on getting married, albeit in very sad circumstances.


Tuppnce Wed 03-Apr-19 15:05:54

No but I believe you will need new wills after a marriage.
Do take advice.

M0nica Wed 03-Apr-19 15:04:47

The best thing to do is ask a solicitor.

NannyCF Wed 03-Apr-19 15:03:37

My partner and I have been together for 25 years, and took out powers of attorney about 5 years ago. They cost us a great deal of money due to us both having children. Now he is terminally ill and we would like to marry while we still have the time. Our wills and powers of attorney will not change, but would we have to pay a big bill again just because my name will be changing?