Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Legal Aid

(15 Posts)
Auntieflo Tue 16-Apr-19 08:23:27

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but yesterday I heard that Shamima Begum (sp) has possibly been granted access to Legal Aid.
How can this be, when it is now denied to many here?
She left this country voluntarily, but now wants to return and is begging for help.

Jane10 Tue 16-Apr-19 08:31:27

I don't understand why someone who doesn't have British nationality can apply for a British thing like legal aid.
Ooh. A can of worms.

Auntieflo Tue 16-Apr-19 08:57:28

Precisely Jane10

Teetime Tue 16-Apr-19 09:19:57

I thought there was precious little legal aid left anyway.

mumofmadboys Tue 16-Apr-19 09:28:00

She left Britain as a minor.
She is still a teenager.
She was radicalised in our country.
People make mistakes.
We should allow people to make amends and grant second chances.
Personally I feel she should be allowed her British citizenship and legal aid.

Beckett Tue 16-Apr-19 09:33:32

Why grant her legal aid to hire very expensive solicitors when there is a public defenders service advocacy unit which is part of the legal aid office.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 16-Apr-19 09:42:25

SB is a UK problem we shouldn’t expect others to have her!!!

Some of the “alleged” things she participated in and “policed” are an abomination.

She should be brought back to face UK justice and serve her penence in UK jail.

Charleygirl5 Tue 16-Apr-19 13:35:28

GG I do not expect other countries to have her but I also do not expect, as a taxpayer to pay towards millions of pounds worth of money to finance legal aid for her when. more deserving folk have been refused.

Jane10 Tue 16-Apr-19 13:39:02

I gather that she may not have known that this was being looked for her on her behalf.
I thought she was going to Holland?

Charleygirl5 Tue 16-Apr-19 15:42:54

Jane I thought her husband was still in prison but he definitely wanted her to join him there- good luck and I hope that happens soon but I do not think so.

paddyann Tue 16-Apr-19 15:48:45

the legal aid is to see if the process of removing citizenship of the country she was born in is legal.However you may justify it people cant and shouldn't be left stateless...especially when she wa s a minor when she left the UK .

GrannyGravy13 Tue 16-Apr-19 15:55:26

Charleygirl15, I think her family have applied and got legal aid on her behalf to contest SB being stripped of her British Citizenship. It is being hailed as a "landmark case" as to whether a Country can legally make a person stateless.

If she was bought back and put on trial I doubt very much (and sincerely hope) she would not get legal aid to fund her defence.

She should have access to representation through the criminal justice system? The same as any other British Citizen.

Whether we like it or not apparently that is the UK law.

(I am happy for someone with more knowledge of this to either confirm or rectify what I have posted)

GrannyGravy13 Tue 16-Apr-19 15:56:03

crossed posts paddyann........oops!

JenniferEccles Tue 16-Apr-19 16:17:24

There is something very badly wrong with our legal aid system.

We were surely all horrified to hear that Jack Shepherd had been granted it, now we learn that so has SB.

What's the betting that she will soon be back here, ensconced in a council house and showered with benefits ?

Oh yes and she will be inundated with offers to appear on tv - she will become something of a celebrity.

Meanwhile the fact remains that despite being born here after her parents were given permission to settle here, she hates us and our way of life.

She will always be a danger to us, so I for one really hope this appeal fails.

mumofmadboys Tue 16-Apr-19 17:28:36

Would you feel the same if she was your 19 year old daughter who had lost her way Jennifer?