Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

delayed pension payment.

(6 Posts)
Fennel Tue 04-Jun-19 10:01:45

I was rather worried over the weekend as there was no sign of my LG pension being paid into my bank account. It's always been paid promptly, and I'd just had a leter from them saying it was due on the 31st. TG it appeared yesterday.
Then I came across this alarming article today
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7100867/Thousands-savers-denied-access-money-fund-manager-blocks-withdrawal-cash.html
I know our pension fund is based on worldwide investments, and it could be linked in some way to that company.
I always say a thankyou prayer when I receive mine, because we can't assume the money will always be available.

Fennel Tue 04-Jun-19 10:02:42

ps I meant to ask - did anyone else have a delayed pension payment?

M0nica Tue 04-Jun-19 14:04:30

Fennel This is unlikely to affect your pension. Pension funds spread their investments over a wide range of financial products from cash to bonds to shares and many other and they are constantly making decisions about whether to buy or sell them.

Most of their investments will be in 'blue chip' stocks, that is the shares of large, well-established and financially sound companies that have operated for many years. it will have a market capitalization in the billions, is generally the market leader or among the top three companies in any sector, and is often a household name.

In addition pensions are paid from dividends, rarely from capital release. Not only that but the investment policy and management of pensions is now tightly controlled. There have been problems with pensions being underfunded, but that is a mangement problem, not an investment problem (think BHS)

The problem with the fund you refer to, as I understand it, seems to be that because the fund has fallen in value recently, a lot of investors want to withdraw money, including some very large investors so the fund needs to sell shares to meet these demand. The fund manager wants time to make decisions about what stocks to sell and to sell them so he gets the best value. As I understand it, I do not think the fund is going to go bust.

Of course things can go wrong and who knows what the future will bring, but the problems with this fund are highly unlikely to put anyone's pension in danger.

ElaineI Tue 04-Jun-19 22:10:38

Just been on RBS website as DD mortgage payment due 1st Sat did not go through. Apparently they do not do transactions at weekend so if you are paid or have SOs or DDs on 1st of month and it is a Saturday or Sunday they won't be paid till the Monday! It says it is so everyone has full access to all their money all weekend but to remember to leave enough for your direct debits - is this not tempting fate? Anyway this may be why your pension was late.

Fennel Wed 05-Jun-19 09:25:39

Thanks for the replies - I can just about understand yours, M0nica*, quite complicated.
And yes, Elaine' I though it could be because of the weekend except that it was due on the Friday 31st.
Anyway panic over now.

M0nica Wed 05-Jun-19 17:33:35

Sorry, Fennel, but it is quite a complex subject.