Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Saving for something, or nothing?

(11 Posts)
Pantglas1 Sun 07-Jul-19 11:57:04

Chatting with two old school friends over brunch yesterday about savings - not amounts, just general attitudes and it was apparent we all three have totally different mindsets although coming from very similar backgrounds - poorer end of the scale.

One never saves - never has, never will but has always earned the best money, is still working part time and has an nhs pension.

The other only saves for something I.e. holidays, cars, white goods, gadgets, big events and still works part time and will always do so.

I’ve always saved for nothing in particular, on the basis that I might want/need something sometime and would then have the wherewithal to buy it.

I wouldn’t say any of us is happier than the other but we all agreed we couldn’t live with the other’s method on the grounds it would be too restrictive for our different personalities!

annsixty Sun 07-Jul-19 12:02:36

I'm with you on this Pantglas
I always have enough money for emergencies, never have to wait but I realise that we are all different and that is as it should be.
I could not rest if I didn't have savings, a throw back to childhood when my Father died and my Mother and I had areal struggle.
I never want to go back to that.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 07-Jul-19 12:12:30

I have always saved half and spent half!!

I think I would be extremely anxious not to have a “slush fund”

EllanVannin Sun 07-Jul-19 12:27:17

It's always vital to have a backup, financially because it saves worrying. None of us needs money worries at our time of life, there were enough of them in the distant past for many of us. Savings are a buffer zone in case your fridge/cooker/washer/dryer/TV breaks down then you're prepared.

I don't keep any in the house, though saying that I've had a £ 50 note hidden for a long time for a " hands-on " emergency, just in case------of what,I don't know.

As long as I have enough for my funeral I can rest easy too----with a bit left over. Liquid assets count as well, which is gold that can be turned into cash. It could do well after Brexit hahahaha.

tanith Sun 07-Jul-19 12:36:24

I can’t say I consciously save, but my monthly income is more than I need to spend so it’s always there if I need it for whatever comes along emergencies, trips etc.
I wouldn’t be comfortable if I didn’t having money put by a throw back to my first marriage with no money that was mine.

Charleygirl5 Sun 07-Jul-19 12:54:48

I find there is always something which needs replacing- a washing machine, fridge/freezer or vet fees.

I am also saving for care home fees so that should keep me there for a few months!

Joking apart, an old colleague has dementia, is still living in her own home with help x4 a day but it has reached the stage where she now needs care x24 hours a day so her savings will not last long. I assume that Social Services will take over and then retrieve the money when the house is sold.

Glammy57 Sun 07-Jul-19 13:59:16

We always have money in “savings” - instilled in us by our respective fathers.

Floradora9 Sun 07-Jul-19 14:35:43

I still want to save though I ask myself why I need to . We have enough for our needs and more yet I still get pleasure from putting a few more pounds away . This I regard as my own money and DH willingly has no access to it . Sometimes I pay for gifts for the GC and holidays from it but start saving again.

Septimia Sun 07-Jul-19 14:41:41

We have always had joint savings; some of it what my DH inherited recently from his father and some of that is in DH's account. I save and pay for our holidays but have just realised that I have very little that is actually my own. My income isn't too bad but, were anything to happen to DH, I could find myself stuck for a while. So I've decided to start putting a bit aside for me!

gillybob Sun 07-Jul-19 14:47:07

I’ve never really been in a position to save as it’s always been a bit “one step forward, two steps back”. I do worry about the future and how we will manage once DH can no longer work . We have never had separate accounts as we share whatever we have .

Grammaretto Sun 07-Jul-19 15:21:58

I was always just living within my means but buying things when I wanted or needed them.

Then my DS removed himself to the other side of the world and I bemoaned that we could never afford to visit him.
A friend told me about saving. I don't do it properly ie I'm sure I could invest savings and gather proper interest. All I do is put a little aside in a separate account and it adds up. I have my state pension plus a little part time job. We have managed 2 trips out to see the family by doing this.
As for end of life savings: I am not ready to think about that yet.