Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Security

(95 Posts)
Daisymae Mon 19-Aug-19 19:48:18

Anyone else finding that security is now so intense that it is getting to be very difficult to access to your own accounts? I have a friend who was transferring money from one account to another when they were phoned by the fraud section. They proceeded to ask a variety of questions including 'what do you want the money for?' My friend said they failed to see how this was relevant to the transfer and pointed out that it was going from one account to another account WITH THE SAME NAME! Anyway bottom line is that account was blocked and they were instructed to go into a branch and present themselves with ID. This is despite the fact that one form of security was fingerprint recognition! You now also get a 6 digit code to your phone when you buy online, you need to remember your mother's inside leg measurement and I don't know what other memorable details. I know banks have to crack down on fraud but it is getting silly. Starting to think that keeping it under the bed might be a better option. Or perhaps its just me??

Annaram1 Tue 20-Aug-19 11:27:12

EllanV, I have been asked by my Bank, Santander. what I wanted the money for. It was for an investment. I told the Bank, "You wont like it if I tell you." She insisted so I told her it was for an investment. She said, "The Bank won't mind you making an investment." You have to go through a lot of security these days including the use of codes.

4allweknow Tue 20-Aug-19 11:31:04

The withdrawal of an unusual amount from an account can trigger security systems to query why. No matter where the money is going. Ut is a way to help spot if money is being laundered, a person is being forced to make the transaction or just out and out theft. We shoukd be grateful, how many reports have we heard about old folk being taken to cash machines or banks to make withdrawals by criminals coming them..

Kim19 Tue 20-Aug-19 11:46:25

Just this week I had a telephone call from my cc company querying a transaction on my account. It was for £2:50. I was amazed and considered it OTT but nonetheless grateful to have it physically confirmed that checks of some sort are sometimes carried out.

FC61 Tue 20-Aug-19 11:57:16

What annoys me is Natwest who say we need to know exactly when you are leaving UK and exactly when you are coming back or we block your card. So I tell them and they block it at random times anyway !! Wednesday card worked in Croatia, Friday it didn’t. Nothing to do with funds available. Never happens with Metro or Barclays. I have learnt to keep five cards on me lol! God knows what happens with Brexit ! Husband working in Germany, house in Croatia, me in London. Brexit has ruined my life just with stress of not knowing what’s happening !

spabbygirl Tue 20-Aug-19 11:57:55

I'm the same Daisymae, I have a Santander account and another first direct and am always forgetting the log in details. They then make me take in photo id to the local branch. Once I did this and was behind someone in the queue, she was talking to head office down the phone & they were asking her the usual security questions down the phone and her being right in the main foyer, everyone could hear her replies!! I'm not a criminal, but it would have been so easy to record this or remember it.

RosieLeah Tue 20-Aug-19 12:05:12

I had problems when I wanted to send money to my son. Although I've been with the same bank for many years, I changed my name when I got divorced. However, as I pointed out to the clerk, I must be genuine because otherwise, I wouldn't have known what my previous name was.
What annoyed me though, was that while I was standing there, conducting my affairs, there was another customer standing right beside me in the queue, and watching everything I was doing.

Caro57 Tue 20-Aug-19 12:14:50

I guess if one was to be a victim of fraud I would be very glad to be asked and be reminded to think twice

PamelaJ1 Tue 20-Aug-19 12:18:14

Kim19- very often fraudsters use your details for a small amount just to see if it works.

absthame Tue 20-Aug-19 12:22:09

I purchase a great deal for my business on the web using a particular credit card (never ever use debit cards on the net.) Fairly regularly the transaction fails on the first occasion, immediately followed by a message on my phone asking me to confirm the legitimacy of the transaction. Inconvenient, yes; but I bless it every time

A great deal of the questioning of the source/intended use of funds is attempts to frustrate organised crime gangs etc and although it's a pain in the neck, I personally welcome it.

jusnoneed Tue 20-Aug-19 12:25:46

Do you know what they accept if you didn't have a passport 25Avalon, this is my query - I (and others I know) have no form of photo ID having never driven or been abroad.
I wonder will someone have to provide a service to make ID cards soon.

gillybob Tue 20-Aug-19 12:29:06

I was witness to a bank asking an elderly gentleman what he was going to spend the money on Daisyamae . It turned out after much questioning he was going to give it to a Big Issue seller . The police were called and I was asked to give a statement as witnessing the long conversation between the bank teller and the gentleman.

Blinko Tue 20-Aug-19 12:35:45

It is surely counterproductive to close small branches then insist that people travel to branches miles away to do business. Most unhelpful!

Chews Tue 20-Aug-19 12:39:18

Jusnoneed why not get a passport so that you have a valid ID?

Nonnie Tue 20-Aug-19 12:40:22

I think banks are damned if they do and damned if they don't!

I suspect that if you are making an unusual payment or if you have made a simple mistake in the transaction an algorithm triggers a check. I wouldn't want to answer questions on the phone and would say I would call the fraud department myself to deal with it.

These days the banks are expected to give us back any money which we have allowed a fraudster to take unless they can prove we didn't know about the security we should take. My online bank regularly tells me what to do about security and won't let me proceed to online banking unless I tick the box which says I have read it. I can understand why they do that.

FC61 I had the same problem! In Hong Kong they wouldn't let me take money out but let DH from the same account. I called them and they asked what the last transaction on the account was and I pointed out it was HK$! They didn't get why I laughed! We then moved on to India and the same thing happened. When we got home I wrote and complained and said they were sexist. They gave me compensation!

Kim19 Tue 20-Aug-19 12:45:51

Thanks Pamela. Think I had heard of this before but forgotten completely. Mm Hm. Happily on this occasion my transaction was legitimate. A memory prompt is always appreciated by me.

Stella14 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:19:35

When I transfer money, or make a payment to someone, using online banking, the system does ask me the purpose of the transfer. It offers various options including ‘gift to family’, transfer to another account of my own’ and ‘pay for a service’. I am always pleased to see such measures in place. I don’t need them, but many people are vulnerable to being scammed and it’s good to see banks doing what they can to protect them, by making them stop and think. I would be happy to be contacted and questioned by the fraud department. I’d certainly prefer it to having money fraudulently taken from my account!

Mary3249 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:49:14

Rosina - I have been informed the same as you....only problem I live in the USA and have my UK pension paid into the account. From time to time I transfer money to my US account. My bank are aware of this and send correspondence to my US address.

However, they are unable to text my US mobile! I have informed them of this and they say I can use a card reader to access my account - so now I have to carry my debit card and card reader which to me seems less secure than leaving it all at home and remembering my 'memorable data' to access by mobile phone if I am away because all you need to access the card reader is your PIN number which has historically been proven to be not the most secure method. If I get frozen out of my account there will be no way I can travel to my branch. They don't appear to be able to make any plans for overseas customers.

TATT Tue 20-Aug-19 14:09:48

I, too, understand that security is necessary, but I wouldn’t have a clue how to launder money! I’ve been asked where money has come from and what I want it for. It sometimes seems intrusive. I am a big girl and it is my money. That said, I’m all for banks doing all they can to protect vulnerable customers.

MaryXYX Tue 20-Aug-19 14:51:23

If you are phoned by "The Fraud Section" it is almost always a scam. They usually know something about you and your account, and ask for something like your password so they can get into your account and take your money.

HootyMcOwlface Tue 20-Aug-19 15:03:17

Our local Co-op have a leaflet about a Citizencard that you can apply for and use as ID if you have no other photo ID. I expect anyone could apply for one, although it seems to be offered to mainly youngsters here I think.

jusnoneed Tue 20-Aug-19 15:16:52

That's what is needed HootyMcOwlface, I don't see that I should have to buy a passport for 70 odd quid to prove I am who I say I am on the rare occasion I take a larger amount of my cash out! The banks should provide such a service if they are going to insist on it. The only thing I had was an electric bill with my name on (all other bills in OH names) but teller said that wasn't really enough. Went through various security questions with a queue of people stood right behind me... then asked me what payments have recently gone out - I hardly use the account as I get paid in cash and buy with cash. So stuck all ways lol.

Diane227 Tue 20-Aug-19 15:19:26

I ordered an online shop with Asda at Christmas as I had the whole family coming over.
I added a new card to pay for it instead of the one I usually use and the bank cancelled the transaction because of unusual spending.
Luckily Asda still sent out the order but I got an e mail asking me to sort it out.
I was furious with the bank because if it hadnt been for Asdas good will I would have been left seriously in the lurch.

inishowen Tue 20-Aug-19 15:27:40

I had a man from the fraud office phone me about our joint account. They asked if I knew my husband had paid a large amount of money for aircraft insurance. I did know. They then asked me about 20 security questions. Unfortunately husband had set the answers years ago and we couldn't remember them. The man on the phone could hear husband trying to help with the answers and that was wrong too. It took three phone calls to sort it all out. I HATE dealing with banks.

GreenGran78 Tue 20-Aug-19 16:11:32

Daisymae Keeping your money under the bed has its problems too. I read recently about a couple who were saving for a special wheelchair for their disabled child, and keeping the money under the bed. Most of it was stolen by one of the child's carers. How despicable was that? They caught her, by using a hidden camera, attempting to steal more. She was convicted, but they didn't get the money back.

I agree that all these security measures can be a right pain in the neck. However, there is so much fraud going on that I am prepared to put up with the inconvenience.

Saggi Tue 20-Aug-19 16:14:57

I asked to drawer out £6000 cash last year...I was paying a friend of a friend cash for supplying and fitting my new bathroom. They would only let me have £1000 and I had to ‘order’ the rest for next day. I cannot believe they didn’t have the money in the branch at the time. They told me it was because as I’m an older person they have to be sure I’m not being coerced! I said yes they were waiting outside for me but had just let me pop into Tesco next door to pick up my bread and milk ...I lifted shopping to show them! They gave me the money. I’ve banked with them 47 years!