Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Insurance claim

(6 Posts)
suziewoozie Wed 12-Feb-20 14:11:54

It’s absolutely fine for the police to charge and then for the insurance companies to pay isn’t it?

Davidhs Wed 12-Feb-20 13:48:01

It’s the police making insurance companies pay for a service to them, they are passing it on to you, some do some don’t. You don’t get ‘owt for ‘nowt these days. Happens all over, cash strapped agencies getting what they can.

suziewoozie Wed 12-Feb-20 12:53:07

The other thing that’s cheeky is that your insurance company want this information so they can make her insurance pay for the wall.

timetogo2016 Wed 12-Feb-20 12:49:32

I would question why you have to pay anything tbh.
All they will do is photocopy the original records.
Good luck.

suziewoozie Wed 12-Feb-20 12:47:37

This is exactly the sort of scenario where I’d dig my heels in. You’ve paid your premiums and this demand seems a nonsense. I’d email them and ask where in the policy it says you have to pay for this. If they can’t point it out to you, just say you’re starting the complaints process ( that should be on their website)

ninathenana Wed 12-Feb-20 12:43:44

Some of you will remember that a drunk wrote off my DD's car, demolished my neighbour's wall and part of ours.
DD insurance were great and she now has a replacement car. Our neighbour's insurers are arranging to have their wall rebuilt.
Ours however are sending a surveyor out on Monday to inspect the wall. The repair is approx 3ft long and 5 courses high. Despite the insurers having PC's name and number, incident number, reg. of offending car and drivers name they want me to pay for the police to release her address.
I've no idea of the cost of this as form says they will e-mail the cost when they receive the completed form.
Estimates for the repair are £380-£450 with an excess of £90. Would you refuse to pay the police fee, would you just forget the claim ?
Seems a lot of hassle for about £300