Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Deeds for the house

(7 Posts)
Fennel Tue 17-Mar-20 15:29:55

Husband has been driving me mad this pm, looking for a file on the purchase of this house. Which we bought nearly 2 years ago. No mortgage. He says he needs the 'Deeds'.
As I'm the one who makes up files I can't understand where the paperwork has gone. As far as I remember it was all done online.
Do Deeds still exist? Could they be with the solicitor who did the conveyancing?
It's a relatively modern house - 1980s.

cornergran Tue 17-Mar-20 15:32:15

When we bought our current home in 2013 we were told no paper deeds. They are registered electronically at the land registry. Why not check with the conveyancing solicitor? They may be able to reassure your husband.

Scentia Tue 17-Mar-20 15:32:18

I don’t think actual deeds exist anymore. We sold my FiL house and no deeds were exchanged, it was d sad lol fine virtually. Your solicitor should have access to them.

grannyactivist Tue 17-Mar-20 15:35:59

I got the deeds to my (Edwardian) house when we paid off the mortgage, but it's not as straightforward as I thought. This link should help you out:
www.thinkglink.com/2018/06/14/do-you-get-the-deed-after-your-final-mortgage-payment/

M0nica Tue 17-Mar-20 15:42:47

Deeds no longer exist. Your property will be registered with the Land Registry and somewhere among your correspondence from the solicitor this number will be given .

Here is the website for the Land Registry which has all the information your need www.gov.uk/government/organisations/land-registry

Sometime solicitors send the deeds back to the owners, just for interests sake or because they are historic, but for recently built properties there are none.

Fennel Tue 17-Mar-20 15:55:26

Thanks to all smile.
I've just told him the gist and he's now calmed down, having found lots of correspondence on his 'puter.
Panic over.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 17-Mar-20 16:14:33

We sent off for our deeds a couple of years ago, I expected something with green ribbons on, I received an A4 piece of paper with a few brief details on it, I was very disappointed. I think it cost about £90.
As someone else said , it’s all online . If I had realised that it wasn’t a special set of papers I wouldn’t have spent the money.