Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Too young

(2 Posts)
Daftbag1 Thu 11-Jun-20 16:45:47

Daftbag1

We could cry......Currently renting our home in the private sector. Hubby gets state pension, I get contribution based ESA (in the support group), & the enhanced rate of both the care and mobility PIP. We also receive housing benefit and don't have to pay council tax. (We've also been told that we can claim. Pension credit but haven't as we are quite happy with our lot)!

We would love to be closer to our daughter, her husband, and their children, so fairly recently joined the housing register in her area. Yesterday, we were shocked to receive a call offering us a bungalow not too far from our daughter. Heaven we thought, but...... We have to decide and sign the tenancy by tomorrow, without actually viewing it.

We anticipated a reduction in help with our rent , but in effect, we would only get 10% of what we get now because of my age, (despite the new rent being half of our current rent), & no help at all with Council Tax. And, to add to the financial woes, we would have to pay 2 rents until we can move in (200 miles away whilst in the very vulnerable group), without being able to view!

I know we are very lucky to get the help we can, but the move would save money in so many ways but in addition would enable an extended family to be very happy. It does seem very unfair that because like so many couples, because I'm younger than my husband, we will lose so much money that it is looking more and more unaffordable.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 11-Jun-20 18:30:19

Can your daughter view it tomorrow on your behalf? She could show it to you on her mobile so that you can at least make a decision based on a few more facts.
I hope you can go ahead, you might be worse off financially, but hopefully that would be offset by having your family close by
Good luck whatever you decide.