Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

The Utility Companies, are they ripping us off?

(5 Posts)
Spangler Sat 22-Aug-20 19:24:37

Recently, whilst shopping, I was canvassed by a gas supply company who had set up a stall near the store entrance. They asked a few pertinent questions and said that they could save me about £100. "Payment by direct-debit," I replied. "Of course," was the answer. "My wife and I are the only ones with access to our account," I told them, "and it's not going to change." The salesman just shrugged his shoulders and left at that.

Later, with that encounter in mind, I wrote a letter, not an e-mail, a handwritten letter, to my gas supplier explaining that I can get a decent price reduction elsewhere. They answered by return of post with a copy of some super deal and all I had to do was sign the direct debit. I wrote back telling them much the same as I did the canvassing salesman, adding an implication that I was looking to change supplier.

Two days later another letter arrived informing me that they had looked again at my account and were able to improve on the rate that I had paid previously, furthermore they would backdate the offer and credit it to my next quarterly bill. I thanked them and said that I will wait and see my new tariff.

We have a large property, my winter bills can reach £400 and my summer ones are about £200, they vary up and down of course but it's the use of hot water that will cause those fluctuations and we do use a lot of hot water.

Today my quarterly gas bill landed on the doormat, you can see for yourself how much it is. I will leave it with you, I'm off to write a letter to my electricity supply company.

EllanVannin Sat 22-Aug-20 19:31:14

I'll be phoning mine on Monday, so they'd better look out. They've been fleecing me for years I reckon, but like a mug I've paid up and looked happy. Not any longer though.

Chewbacca Sat 22-Aug-20 19:43:00

Do you not do a price comparison Spangler? I was with British Gas many moons ago but found that, on the price comparison sites, they consistently were the most expensive utility company for my postcode. I've been with Bulb for several years now and, as I'm not tied into any contract for a fixed term, I check annually to see if they are still the most competitive. And they are.

Spangler Sun 23-Aug-20 07:14:00

Sound advice Chewbacca, even if the saving is miniscule, it keeps those utilities on their toes.

B.T. were always a pain, their customer service atrocious, for that reason alone I switched phone companies.

fevertree Sun 23-Aug-20 07:36:50

Yes, it happens all the time (in answer to the OP).

Infuriatingly, you have to keep switching.