Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Registration of title

(7 Posts)
JackyB Thu 22-Oct-20 16:29:38

My sister and I are renting out the house we inherited from our Mum - originally until things settled after Brexit, but now due to all the other uncertainties. We shall sell it in a couple of years.

So far, we have not transferred the title to our names. This we shall also do eventually. The solicitor has said that we could be susceptible to fraud if we don't do it. What kind of "fraud" could he mean?

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 22-Oct-20 16:35:16

Presumably somebody trying to take a loan out against the property or even trying to sell it.
I’ve heard of cases, but I’m not clever enough to see how they can get away with it, maybe the system is so lax that they don’t have to prove that they own the property now that the actual owner has died.

Nannarose Thu 22-Oct-20 16:36:38

Sometimes people register an 'interest' in a property and may try to have some claim on it. Fairly rare, but not unknown. I dealt with it when a trustee of a charity.
It is very easy to transfer the title into your names - you can do it yourself. Go to gov.uk - land registry and look though the information. Don't hesitate to ring them - they are very kind and helpful to folk who are doing this themselves.

JackyB Thu 22-Oct-20 18:15:07

Thank you - I will look into that.

M0nica Thu 22-Oct-20 20:13:35

Why not ask your solicitor what kind of fraud he has in mind?

Nonogran Thu 22-Oct-20 20:26:24

I can confirm that it's prudent to register the title. I can also confirm that your local Land Registry office can advise about how to do it. The Land Registry can also, on request, email you twice a year free of charge to tell you if anyone (like for example) your tenants, have tried to sell the house. It will save you legal fees & the land registry folk were very kind & helpful to me. Ring them ....soon.

Davidhs Thu 22-Oct-20 21:27:19

It’s definitely in your interest to register title, it will establish the property boundaries as well as your ownership. when you sell the house the buyer will ask you to prove you own it.

The solicitor will do it for you as he will have all the existing paperwork.