Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Amazon

(22 Posts)
GagaJo Fri 01-Jan-21 10:37:49

I used Amazon over Christmas to buy gifts for GS. I don't know how, but I had somehow managed to get signed up for Prime. I was annoyed, but took it on the chin and used it for the month with free deliveries.

When I checked my bank statement yesterday, I found EIGHT Prime charges. 2 UK and 6 Amazon DE (Germany). I contacted Amazon and after a 2 1/2 hour online chat, 3 attempts at phone calls from the (the only useful operator I spoke to cut me off mid conversation) I eventually put a complaint in.

I don't know HOW they manage to sign people up for Prime when no purchases are made. I searched the German site for N95 masks for work a while ago but didn't buy any. I still don't know how I managed to sign up for UK prime. I certainly never made an active choice to.

I finally instigated TWO complaints, one to UK and one to German Amazon. Within an hour, both had messaged me back, giving me refunds (UK Amazon didn't refund the first month, which was fair enough. I had used the free delivery 2 or 3 times).

I can only assume Amazon use underhand tactics to get people to sign up, assuming there will be a percentage of customers who won't notice. So dishonest though.

glammanana Fri 01-Jan-21 10:41:13

Gagajo I have heard about this so many times I'm so glad you got a refund in the end.

Greenfinch Fri 01-Jan-21 10:42:29

I had the same experience of signing up for Prime .I suppose I pressed the wrong button somewhere. I did cancel it but I am now off to look at my bank statement to see if I have been charged for this month.

GagaJo Fri 01-Jan-21 10:44:08

It isn't the first time I have accidentally signed up for it. I got a refund last time too.

For me, when they are so difficult to complain to (in the online chat, one operative actually told me there was no complaints procedure!) it annoys me so much, I get angry and make it a mission to get refunded.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 01-Jan-21 10:57:12

That has happened to me - I found I was signed up to Amazon Prime and cancelled it, however I have signed up again for the time being while I am relying on Amazon for deliveries. Will ditch it as soon as I can do my own shipping again. Don't particularly enjoy making Jeff Bezo even more wealthy while he dodges paying the taxes he should be paying.

Teacheranne Fri 01-Jan-21 12:27:06

Amazon make it too easy to sign up for Prime! Every time I buy something, an advert for Prime pops up and if you just ignore it and continue with your order, you find yourself paying for Prime. You have to click on some very small, faint print in the pop up declining Prime! I’m aware of this trick now but so many of my friends have been caught by it.

Marthjolly1 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:34:54

I've been caught too. You have to be very careful not to accept the prime offer. I have no use for it. I only knew when I checked my bank statement which showed a fee to Amazon Prime. They did refund me as soon as I queried it and now I'm very careful how I place an order. It is definately underhand the way it is made too easy to accept.

rockgran Fri 01-Jan-21 13:25:53

I hate using Amazon for this reason. Clicking the right button is always a challenge.

growstuff Fri 01-Jan-21 13:29:39

I do have Amazon Prime because it saves me money.

Sometimes, I click on a premium film or music by mistake. There's an option to cancel immediately. When I've checked my bank account, the refund has only taken a few minutes.

growstuff Fri 01-Jan-21 13:31:31

I'm in awe that Amazon makes any money out of me because I quite frequently order items for under a fiver and pay no delivery charge.

lilyofthewest Fri 01-Jan-21 15:49:44

GagaJo can I ask what email address you used to complain to Amazon UK? I have been unable to find one. I have a gift card problem I would like resolved and their phone “helpline” have been useless.

BlueBelle Fri 01-Jan-21 15:58:45

I too was paying Prime some years ago without realising when I found out I did get a refund and have been very careful to not click any prime buttons since, however I had a welcome to primes free trial, just before Christmas, I have no idea how I managed that as I thought I d gone through all the buttons with a tooth comb I did cancel it straight away this time but it’s hard as they seem to change around buttons to sign up for it
Ryanair do this as well you have to be very very careful that you re not signed up for an insurance or some special seat or something
Really bad devious tactics

GagaJo Fri 01-Jan-21 16:52:47

lilyofthewest

GagaJo can I ask what email address you used to complain to Amazon UK? I have been unable to find one. I have a gift card problem I would like resolved and their phone “helpline” have been useless.

Hi lilyofthewest, I filled in an online form to complain, but here are some email addresses and links to Amazon. I would message using ALL of them. Write your message and copy and paste the same one to all. I think they make it deliberately hard to complain.

complaints@amazon.co.uk

[email protected].

[email protected]

amazon-uk.pissedconsumer.com/sendEmail.html?email=215572

resolution-uk@amazon.co.uk

PollyDolly Fri 01-Jan-21 17:02:56

Some weeks ago there was a fraudulent attempt b someone to make a payment on my debit card. The Lloyds immediately blocked the payment, messaged me to query it and cancelled my debit card. During the conversation with Lloyds the call handler told me to not leave payment card details on shopping sites so I logged into Amazon and cancelled both our active payment cards as a precaution.

This meant, whenever we bought something we had to enter card details, Amazon soon got wise and now demand that you actually allocate a payment card to the account. So, yesterday, I wanted to order some items, had to allocate a card but as soon as the order went through I deleted that card details but discovered I had been automatically allocated a Prime account which I do not want! What a bloody nerve, yes I know I can cancel it but if I had not have noticed I would soon have been charged!
Moral to this story is, we have to all be very vigilant!

Callistemon Fri 01-Jan-21 17:02:58

It's so easy, Gagajo
I did it once without realising about 18 months ago but I did sign up for a 'free trial' before Christmas but then deleted it.
You have to 'opt out' because the box for Prime is already ticked.
Their complaints system has got much worse too.

Callistemon Fri 01-Jan-21 17:05:18

Ps and, before I started the free trial to Prime, I got about 20 calls over a fortnight saying there was a problem with my (non-existent) Prime subscription.
That was a scam.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 01-Jan-21 17:42:15

I got caught by pressing the wrong button and being signed up for Prime. I realised straight away and cancelled. However, they couldn't have taken more than about £5 from me as we both stopped leaving our credit card details on our accounts years ago and just top up with gift cards which we buy in the supermarket on the rare occasions when we plan to order something.

We removed our credit card details after I read about someone whose credit card was due for renewal and she found that Amazon knew her new number before she did...

lilyofthewest Fri 01-Jan-21 17:43:38

GagaJo. Thanks for replying. I will do as you suggest.

martiscore Thu 29-Jul-21 21:54:17

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MissAdventure Thu 29-Jul-21 22:23:13

Nice try.
Reported.

Franbern Fri 30-Jul-21 14:13:08

I admit that I use Prime, paying an annual fee, which is less than them monthly one. Several of my purchasers from there are well under ten pounds, so it works out good value for me.

However, I do a daily (first thing each mornng) check on both my bank statement and my credit card statement. Do this on my phone and it takes just a couple of minutes at breakfast.

By doing this, there is no way that ANY company or a scam could get through as I would be discovering it within less than 24 hours. This check is a part of my brekkie routine.

MiniMoon Fri 30-Jul-21 14:25:33

I have Amazon prime and am happy with it, as we like prime movies.
The problem I'm having is with kindle reading unlimited.
I signed up for the free 2 month trial. After this was over, I found that I wasn't reading enough to warrant paying £7:99 per month.
I have been trying to cancel, but each time I do, it says I am not signed up. I am still able to download free books though.
DH handles the online banking so I haven't been able to look at the statements to see if I've been charged. I keep asking him to check, but I'm still waiting for an answer.