Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Do you use Internet banking?

(116 Posts)
Shinamae Mon 19-Apr-21 10:35:38

A couple of years ago I left my High Street bank and opened an account with First direct which is purely online. I am quite happy with it but I’m getting a bit worried about all the stories about hacking.The rate they are closing High Street banks as well looks like in the not too distant future online banking may be the only option....Thoughts please

Keffie12 Wed 21-Apr-21 11:54:48

I love Internet banking. I can't remember the last time I went in the bank or rung them.

I have it set up on my laptop and mobile app too.

The last time I had that strange thing called a cheque I paid it in through my online banking app too.

You need to be aware of Internet security and have it set up and never ever click on a link saying they are from your bank.

Also the same if you get a call from the bank. Never give personal info away. Hang up if your not sure.

Google being security savvy online for a good overall picture of do's and dont's.

Whatever you do make sure you have anti virus on, on your phone as well as your laptop/P.C

henetha Wed 21-Apr-21 09:58:03

I was reluctant to do online banking but was pursuaded into it by my daughter-in-law. I'm so glad I did, it is so convenient.
I get messages on my phone from the bank all the time, telling me what's going on. I really do recommend it.

Theoddbird Wed 21-Apr-21 09:18:24

I have used it for years. I only use my laptop to do it. My bank sends me a weekly statement text and email every week. They aslo have a lot of security checks if I want to make a new payment.

Shropshirelass Wed 21-Apr-21 08:48:08

I use internet banking but my DH doesn’t. I don’t worry about it, my banks are very secure with all the checks they make. I ignore texts and emails but check online through secure messages if I need to check on anything. Perfectly safe as long as you follow the banks guidelines.

Saetana Wed 21-Apr-21 03:42:41

I've been using website and mobile banking for many years now - its quick, convenient and I've had no issues with it.

Foxyferret Wed 21-Apr-21 00:42:23

Used the Halifax online for years with no problems. Not bothered as they guarantee to cover up to £85,000 if anything goes wrong as do most banks, so my little tiny bit should be safe.

glammagran Tue 20-Apr-21 22:46:11

We’ve been with First Direct for well over 20 years. I agree with others, I have found them to be first rate. Never need to visit a bank.

Shinamae Tue 20-Apr-21 22:28:01

I really had no idea that First direct had been around for over 20,years I thought they were quite new!!!

NanaandGrampy Tue 20-Apr-21 22:24:28

I’ve been with First Direct for at least 20 years . They consistently win awards for their service , their UK based call centres are outstanding.

I think they have every possible security and have never experienced a moments issue. I would never go back to in person banking.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 20-Apr-21 21:15:07

I meant if anything unusual happens I receive a text.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 20-Apr-21 21:13:50

My bank recommended using their app which they say is more secure. You are not, therefore, going on the WWW but directly to the bank. I also don’t use it on my phone. So far it has been really good allowing me to photograph cheques which I need to pay in and make payments to family for shopping etc.If anything unusual happens. Since lock down my bank has closed and is now only opening for a couple of hours twice a week. I believe they always intended to do this and Covid allowed them to do so.

Nannagarra Tue 20-Apr-21 20:47:49

MerylStreep

Banking apps on your phone are safer than using your PC.
Why, because the apps are vetted by Apple and Google whereas your PC can run software from any source.
This is from my daughter who’s last job was to try and break into bank accounts. Not your account but fictitious accounts.

That’s why we use the iPad.

Shinamae Tue 20-Apr-21 20:23:26

MerylStreep

Why, because the apps are vetted by Apple and Google whereas your PC can run software from any source.
This is from my daughter who’s last job was to try and break into bank accounts. Not your account but fictitious accounts.

That’s reassuring Meryl Streep thank you ?

MerylStreep Tue 20-Apr-21 19:46:51

CBBL Tue 20-Apr-21 18:48:27

I have used internet banking for years now (mostly because we live in a country area with no shops and no bus service). I would not download anything to my phone though, as I am partially sighted and setting need to show fairly large print for me to read it, and I wouldn't want to use it in public, or when travelling.
Security seems pretty good, and I do get calls from my bank querying transactions from time to time. I check several times a week that all is well with my balance/transactions etc. and don't worry unduly about it.

clbm48 Tue 20-Apr-21 18:42:35

I've banked with First Direct since 1993 and I've never had any problems. They're very on the ball when they detect any activity that doesn't look like it's you.

Ramblinggran Tue 20-Apr-21 17:36:41

I’ve been with First Direct for over 20 years and always found them very good to deal with. It’s never any trouble for them when you have a query. Sometimes I can’t do something on line so have to phone, again nothing is too much trouble for them.

Harris27 Tue 20-Apr-21 17:35:46

I was wondering about this a few years ago. Some winters I struggle with my asthma and thought about doing more stuff online. So anyway I’ve been online banking now for a few years and no problem. It’s quite safe and I use an iPad. Try it it makes life much easier.

Gannygangan Tue 20-Apr-21 17:19:05

80% of the UK uses online banking

I'd imagine in a few years time it will be 100%

Rowsie Tue 20-Apr-21 17:15:27

It is a fact of life now. Internet banking is here to stay and during lockdown, having seen all the queues outside the banks, I was pleased I do all my stuff on line now.

GreyKnitter Tue 20-Apr-21 17:10:40

I’ve used online banking for years - using two of the major banks - one for personal stuff and one for household stuff (my husband and I both use different banks and neither of us have had any issues. There aren’t any banks near us, they’ve all closed down, so paying in the odd cheque is tricky and we need to visit the local town but apart from that, it’s great.

Alioop Tue 20-Apr-21 16:57:57

I started online banking in the first lockdown as I didn't want to visit my bank. Always said I'd never use it, but my bank also started to do statements every 3 mths instead of monthly so I find it a lot easier to keep my eye on everything now.

Yorki Tue 20-Apr-21 16:15:02

I understand your doubts on the matter of online banking, uu hare change, and I don't like modern technology much either, but I do have to use online banking as my husband is self employed, and a lot of his customers prefer paying via BACS, ( whatever that stands for). But I don't trust Internet banking, heard too many scam stories. But if you want to put your mind at rest, and even have a laugh about it, go onto YouTube type in kitboga, you can then watch the best of the best scamming scammers, he's brilliant, and ties the scammers up in knots. He knows his stuff. I love him. ?

Gannygangan Tue 20-Apr-21 16:14:32

We've been banking online with laptops and phones for years. It's brilliant in my opinion.

Retired65 Tue 20-Apr-21 16:10:04

I refused to do online banking because some years ago the Bank manager admitted that they had had several cases of fraud. I do do telephone banking via a landline but to set this up you have to do it online to start with. Also despite having a customer number that I have to type in plus a pin number. I also have to answer other security questions.