Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Post office farce

(104 Posts)
H1954 Fri 23-Apr-21 12:41:03

Good evening just heard the announcement on the news that the charges against Post masters and Mistresses accused and sentenced to prison terms for defrauding the Post Office have been quashed, and about time too!
This was just a case of the Big Boys blaming innocent people for a flawed computer system that they said "couldn't possibly be wrong"!
I hope all those charged received adequate recompense for the way they were treated.

songstress60 Sun 25-Apr-21 08:05:01

They will get out of paying compensation. The legal aid system has been dismantled, and the poor victims will have to fork out for justice from their own pockets.

Drell Sun 25-Apr-21 06:23:39

I've followed this too. The victims of this miscarriage of justice need prompt and proportionate compensation (although I doubt money could repair the damage done), and for the post office to take accountability for their actions. How these people and their families suffered is truly awful. No excuses. No delays.

Eloethan Sun 25-Apr-21 00:20:24

I wouldn't describe it as a farce - it has been a scandal and a terrible tragedy to people who have been wrongly convicted of theft and some even sent to prison.

I hope these people are able to take civil action for significant compensation. As one of the solicitors said, nothing can compensate them for the disgrace and shame that they have had to endure all these years - or the loss of employment prospects and income. One woman interviewed on TV said she was actually five months pregnant when she was sent to prison.

FarNorth Sun 25-Apr-21 00:07:26

it came out during the appeals that there were senior managers and system designers who were designing and writing the systems who knew what the problem was and said nothing.

That's absolutely disgusting.

Saetana Sat 24-Apr-21 23:02:41

Someone(s) needs to be held to account over this fiasco - apparently there were over 600 cases of supposed dodgy accounting. Did nobody ever think that this was a ridiculous number of people who were supposedly commiting fraud? This is of particular interest to me as my first job was at two sub post offices on a YTS scheme back in the 80s. I also worked at Post Office Counters head office in the early 90s. From what I recall from working in small post offices, the subpostmaster was liable if the books did not balance.

Sadly some of the victims of this miscarriage of justice have died - others went bankrupt and lost everything. Compensation needs to be swift and appropriate - and other postmasters who were wrongly accused should now bring their own cases against Post Office Counters. These pioneers have made that easier for them and I hope they all join together to pursue justice!

Rosina Sat 24-Apr-21 18:57:51

This whole situation seemed on the edge of unbelievable - my first thought was, could the Post office truly think that so many of its staff were crooks? What quality of IT were they using, and what poor IT staff they must have been employing to allow this to happen - and the ramifications have been terrible for those involved. Shameful and disgraceful - I hope all these poor people get decent compensation, which in some cases cannot help now.

Dottynan Sat 24-Apr-21 18:25:45

There is an excellent 10 part series on BBC radio 4 called The
Post Office Trial. Very gripping to listen to.

Candelle Sat 24-Apr-21 18:12:08

Someone 'at the top' (probably/possibly the whole board?) knew years before this decision that the software was flawed.

To have few cases of fraud escalate to perhaps fifteen a week soon after software installation was a bit of a clue.

In the public interest there ought be a public enquiry and those at the top held accountable.

It appears that Paula Vennels decided on a cover up rather than examine the truth.

I really hope this is examined. Yes, it will cost money but the truth needs to come out.

I am sure we all feel for those Postmasters/Mistresses who have had such a harrowing time

katy1950 Sat 24-Apr-21 17:50:50

Those poor people my heart goes out to them all those years of agony it's a disgrace. The post office top management at the time of this fiasco should now be brought to task it's far to serious to let it go.

sodapop Sat 24-Apr-21 17:50:33

Lilyflower

Thank goodness justice prevailed, albeit late and hardly enough for some poor souls.

There are many countries where a scandal like this would never have come to light.

What justice Lilyflower lives ruined, PO managers moving onward and upward with even higher salaries. I don't see any justice at all.
As for your comment about countries, words fail me.

suziewoozie Sat 24-Apr-21 17:49:31

GreenGran78

Nothing was done about the millions wasted on the National Health computer system. It was quietly brushed under the carpet.
My son has been working on a Government contract. It’s years behind completion, and the longer it drags on the more the contractors earn. Nobody cares. Billions are wasted on similar things every year.

Any wasted money is awful but here we are talking about hundreds and hundreds of damaged lives. No comparison at all. This was a different set of problems and issues

GreenGran78 Sat 24-Apr-21 17:42:49

Nothing was done about the millions wasted on the National Health computer system. It was quietly brushed under the carpet.
My son has been working on a Government contract. It’s years behind completion, and the longer it drags on the more the contractors earn. Nobody cares. Billions are wasted on similar things every year.

Lilyflower Sat 24-Apr-21 16:41:57

Thank goodness justice prevailed, albeit late and hardly enough for some poor souls.

There are many countries where a scandal like this would never have come to light.

Silvertwigs Sat 24-Apr-21 16:23:51

Jay Lucy, it’s always the same, fall back to the default position and blame the ordinary worker.

Then managers will never be blamed, it’s the hierarchy, the get promoted!

Silvertwigs Sat 24-Apr-21 16:21:09

You know it Riverwalk, how is when these top managers drive people to this length don’t get any punishment, they will get paid off and promoted. Large organisations should be ashamed of themselves, but they won’t!!

jaylucy Sat 24-Apr-21 16:03:34

One of my aunts was a postmistress for many years and I can remember her saying that the system was difficult to use when it was introduced. Where they had had to rely on their own knowledge and expertise, to balance the books, this system took it over.
What I can't understand is why the Post Office didn't seem to stop and actually wonder just why the books of so many local post offices weren't balancing, they just assumed that the system must have been perfect, so they must have all been on the fiddle beforehand.
I just hope that they are financially recompensed even though nothing can make up the time for those that were imprisoned or those that have since passed away because it took so long.

nipsmum Sat 24-Apr-21 15:24:08

I was in tears yesterday listening to a lady who was forced to have her baby in prison because she was accused of fraud in this Post Office scandal. The hell thee people have gone through for Years is a disgrace and heads should certainly roll for the way that they have been treated. Money in compensation can never erase the trauma but it may help to rebuild some lives.

Blossoming Sat 24-Apr-21 15:11:28

It was a tragedy for the families of those driven to suicide.

cassandra264 Sat 24-Apr-21 15:06:41

This has been described as the worst miscarriage of justice in legal history.

I agree with all those who say there has to be an independent inquiry headed by a judge.

You can't blame faulty technology alone. It was purchased, installed and operated by human beings - and when things went wrong with the system no-one was prepared to accept that it wasn't God.

Monetary compensation for injustices only goes so far. All those responsible for ruining others' lives - and perhaps responsible for their subsequent mental distress, physical illness and premature deaths - should and must be made fully accountable. Prison terms would seem appropriate for the worst offenders.

maddyone Sat 24-Apr-21 14:38:02

Sarnia

Absolute fiasco. Monetary recompense does not always put everything right, though. Many of those sub-postmasters were of the Muslim community and the crimes they had been accused of brought shame on themselves and their wider family. Lives and relationships have been ruined over this mess.

I agree with you Sarnia that monetary compensation does not put everything right. But are you saying that because someone was from the Muslim community the shame was greater for themselves and their families? I think the shame of a conviction and a prison sentence for any of these innocent people must have been horrendous. For a law abiding person of any religion or belief or none, the shame of being convicted and sent to prison is unimaginable.

Rumpunch Sat 24-Apr-21 14:29:31

My Mum was a sub postmistress in the late 70's for about 10 years. It is not easy work and occasionally due to a miscount of stamps/ pensions/ family allowance her books wouldn't balance. I can't remember the figure but if it was over or under by that figure a post office manager would come down that night to run through everything. Happened twice to my Mum, who got herself in a right state. Both times it was found and usually a human error. Family allowance slips sticking together etc and not counted.
If Mum had have still been there when the computers came in and started playing up like this I don't like to think what could have happened.
It should never have become this bad and how can you compensate for loss of good character in your community etc. Disgusting behaviour by the Post Office.

Mamma7 Sat 24-Apr-21 14:24:27

Totally agree OP - lives ruined ? They deserve compensation but sadly it won’t be nearly enough!

Oldwoman70 Sat 24-Apr-21 14:13:13

I'm another appalled at this. You would have thought someone would have noticed the discrepancies and wondered why so many postmasters with impeccable records were suddenly stealing.

I don't believe any compensation will be adequate. I heard one woman saying she had lost her job, her reputation and her home as she had to "pay back" the missing money. How is she going to be adequately compensated?

Whilst I am sure some middle managers may have been aware of the problem and said nothing, it is those in the top echelon who also need to be investigated - they were being paid large salaries to oversee this organisation and failed.

suziewoozie Sat 24-Apr-21 13:04:20

GreenGran78

Did no-one wonder where these poor people had stashed all this allegedly stolen money? I presume that their bank accounts were checked out at the time.
It’s dreadful that so many lives have been wrecked. To make matters worse, it looks as though whatever compensation fund is set up, a large chunk of the money will be taken to cover legal, and other costs. Shades of the Aberfan fund, which was raided by the Coal Board to pay for clearing the coal tip.

There's already been compensation made to some 700 (?) which worked out at £22k each - after legal costs. Those awards also need revisiting

GreenGran78 Sat 24-Apr-21 12:58:56

Did no-one wonder where these poor people had stashed all this allegedly stolen money? I presume that their bank accounts were checked out at the time.
It’s dreadful that so many lives have been wrecked. To make matters worse, it looks as though whatever compensation fund is set up, a large chunk of the money will be taken to cover legal, and other costs. Shades of the Aberfan fund, which was raided by the Coal Board to pay for clearing the coal tip.