Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

MNHQ and GNHQ here: Find the 5000 - help us find the thousands of women being underpaid £10,000 on their pensions

(7 Posts)
JuliaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 26-Apr-21 17:16:27

Hello everyone! Pension inequality is not a new topic on Gransnet and many of you also know that thousands of women have been underpaid tens of thousands of pounds due to DWP errors.

Many of these groups of women are being actively chased up by the department - but some are not and it's up to them to come forward. But most of these women don't know that. One of these is a group of about 5,000 who are getting about £1 a week. So it was suggested to us by on this thread that we mobilise Mumsnetters and Gransnetters to help reach some of them and let them know.

Challenge accepted. We’ve launched the call for everyone to try and find these 5000 women who are receiving a pittance on twitter, facebook, and instagram - and over on Mumsnet.

We just published a guest post on Mumsnet by former pensions minister Steve Webb about all the different groups of women who are being underpaid their pensions - who they are and what they can do, including these 5,000 women.

If you fancy it, get your brew on brew and here’s what you can do:

- Read the guest post and work out if you or someone you know fits these criteria
- Get in touch with them and let them know they may be eligible - send them the calculator here
- Maybe help them work it out if they are not connected to the internet.
- Spread the word to friends and families about not only these 5,000 but the other two groups of women who are missing out but will not receive anything unless they make a demand.

Let us know if you'll be taking part - and how you can get on - on this thread!

MNHQ

Megs36 Wed 28-Apr-21 10:33:16

Already contacted Pensions Dept, now a case of wait and see, they are overwhelmed, have had acknowledgement to my call.

EllanVannin Wed 28-Apr-21 20:57:48

I'll be giving them a ring.

varian Thu 29-Apr-21 09:08:22

I called and after waiting forty minutes spoke to someone who took my name and NI number. He said he could not send me an acknowledgement of my call because they were too busy to do that but I should hear from them "later this year"

Megs36 Thu 29-Apr-21 09:51:42

I must have been lucky then, waited a few moments spoke to really pleasant lady and got an acknowledgment last week, they will contact later apparently.

varian Thu 29-Apr-21 18:17:35

I phoned a few weeks ago in response to the first announcement when I imagine they were inundated with calls. I might try again in a month or two.

fevertree Thu 29-Apr-21 18:59:52

I had a query re my pension last year (unrelated to this issue). I wrote to them in November. Heard nothing so phoned in January, held on for ages, got through was told my query would be "reviewed". Since then, nothing. Chased again yesterday (held on for ages), was told the same again! I get the impression they are not coping with the volume of enquiries.