Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Widows pension.

(8 Posts)
Juana Thu 13-May-21 11:32:42

Are there any DWP or Accountant people among you lovely ladies ? I am recently widowed a great shock, totally unexpected. Having sorted paperwork I am now clearing my head looking at revised pension and am horrified to find I am £600 short per month. I have had a very small pension in my own right since 2005 which I had topped up but that appears to have been stopped and I now get a percentage of my husbands . I don’t qualify for pension credit as I get just over the threshold, there are still bills to pay, I don’t have a lavish life style, have a small house, clapped out old car, don’t smoke or drink, and I have very small amount of savings. My children had to pay for their dads funeral.Can’t get hold of DWP.
Have other widows had their own pensions stopped. Help

Chardy Thu 13-May-21 12:10:51

My condolences on your sudden loss.

Please get organised with claiming your Bereavement Allowance if you haven't already done so. You'll get a lump sum of £2500 and £100/month for 18 months. If you don't claim soon, the 18 payments gets reduced.
www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment?step-by-step-nav=4f1fe77d-f43b-4581-baf9-e2600e2a2b7a

Juana Sat 15-May-21 10:37:43

Thank you Chardy. It seems I’m not eligible as reached pension age years ago.

Peasblossom Sat 15-May-21 11:04:34

You really need to talk to DWP as it seems very complicated but this is how it appears to me from the website.

Your pension in your own right cannot be stopped but what might have happened is this.

You are entitled to a ‘top up ‘ from your husbands pension to bring the amount you receive in line with the minimum pension. I got something like £20 a week because I had a fair number of contributions. The amount you’ve been told you will receive is your pension plus the top up, not his pension and yours taken away. I hope I’m explaining this ok.

It doesn’t solve your shortfall. You might be entitled to some Pension Credit if you total weekly amount is less than £177.10 weekly. Otherwise, I’m afraid you may have to think about some life changes ?

travelsafar Mon 07-Jun-21 16:19:50

You have my deepest sympathy. Having had the same issues myself, it is a minefield to try and sort everything out and getting hold of anyone at DWP to speak to is a nightmare and the last thing you need at a time of loss. Like you i have lost the income from my husband's state pension and was told i wasnt entitled to anything. It is a huge sum to suddenly disappear from the household income as bills are still needing to be paid. He never had a private pension so no lump sum or monthly payment from that avenue, no life insurance either. I have applied for Pension Credit, the savings element, but as yet have not heard if i am entitled to it. I hope you get some answers very soon.

M0nica Mon 07-Jun-21 17:07:02

Speak to your local Age UK or ring the Pensions Agency Direcct, Alternatively speak to your local Citiazens Advice centre (CAB)

Cabbie21 Mon 07-Jun-21 18:03:58

As Monica said, get advice. Don’t rely on DWP to get it right, though The Pension Service is one of their better departments.
Or go online turn2us and put in your details for a benefit check. It is also worth looking on their Grants section as there are grants depending on previous employment.
Don’t forget to inform your local authority so you get 25 % discount on your council tax.

Chloejo Mon 07-Jun-21 18:38:54

Age concern have a benefits calculator think about if u get reduced council tax living alone. Also cut off I think is 177 a week for pension credit as my friend is on 185 a week and not entitled. There is a calculator called entitled to and gov. Uk has info let us know how u get on.