Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Very annoyed at tax credit helpline

(8 Posts)
Shinamae Sat 22-May-21 09:34:05

Came back from a lovely holiday with my daughter and grandchildren yesterday to find a letter saying that I’ve been overpaid by £532 by tax credit’s. I have no idea about this, nothing has changed in the last 12 months so I have tried ringing them this morning for an explanation,they are meant to be open from eight this morning I have rung them three times after nine and after taking all my information they say the office is now closed and just hang up on me, I am bloody furious...?

Peasblossom Sat 22-May-21 09:36:46

Scam?

Just asking.

Shinamae Sat 22-May-21 10:05:08

Didn’t think of that but anyway I need to get through to speak to somebody and it is just so annoying that they say they’re open today from eight and I’ve rung three different times and they just say goodbye and hang up once they have took all the information....thanks PB..

Peasblossom Sat 22-May-21 10:08:58

I’m a bit worried that you’re phoning the number on the letter and there’s nobody there. Might it be a Premium Line that’s charging you megabucks per minute.

Gosh, I’m so cynical nowadays..

Shinamae Sat 22-May-21 10:42:45

No it is definitely the right number because I had it before so I’m not concerned about that

growstuff Sat 22-May-21 10:47:56

It's very common to be overpaid tax credits. The problem is that payments are made on forward estimates and then compared at the end of the tax year with actual income. If the actual income exceeds the estimate, the excess will be reclaimed.

Shinamae Sat 22-May-21 12:51:23

growstuff

It's very common to be overpaid tax credits. The problem is that payments are made on forward estimates and then compared at the end of the tax year with actual income. If the actual income exceeds the estimate, the excess will be reclaimed.

Thank you growstuff. ?

tiredoldwoman Sat 22-May-21 14:46:27

I got a letter from them this morning too. I suddenly have enough income so my award has been reduced to nothing .
News to me !