Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Who do you consider rich?

(84 Posts)
annsixty Fri 27-May-22 10:29:39

Rishi S has suggested that the rich give up their £400 give away.
What is rich?
£100,000 a year, £50,000 a year or much much more?
To whom do you give it anyway.
Charity, a family you know, your own family maybe.

timetogo2016 Fri 27-May-22 13:43:20

Rich is anyone who shops and doesn`t look at the price tag.

Zoejory Fri 27-May-22 13:50:23

timetogo2016

Depends which shop you're in?

Callistemon21 Fri 27-May-22 13:51:56

timetogo2016

I'm not rich, then!!

Callistemon21 Fri 27-May-22 13:54:13

annsixty

I have just read that second home owners will receive the payment for both homes.
More for the well off once again.

What?! shock
Surely not?

It beggars belief

Callistemon21 Fri 27-May-22 13:54:48

Grandma70s

I believe it is Rishi Sunak’s wife who is very rich.

I wonder if she gives him pocket money?

timetogo2016 Fri 27-May-22 13:57:09

Zoejury,i must be tight then lol.
Callistemon21,of course you are,lol.

Zoejory Fri 27-May-22 14:08:20

Just pondering this and doing googling and apparently the question that tends to stump many politicians is how much is a pint of milk.

This makes them out of touch and wealthy.

But I have no idea how much a pint of milk is. I have no idea. Is it £1? £2? No clue.

But does this mean I'm rich and out of touch?

BlueBelle Fri 27-May-22 14:08:54

Well GSM if you consider an income of £500.000 not rich what do you consider poor.. my income is £12.000 a year but I don’t consider I m poor because I can live within that and don’t need a food bank or any other help you must be very rich if you have an income higher than £500 000
If you don’t need your £400 I ll look after it for you

Callistemon21 Fri 27-May-22 14:12:01

Rich is winning Euromillions!!

I don't buy a ticket so I'll never be rich.

nanna8 Fri 27-May-22 14:15:26

I wouldn’t mind 400 quid but they are not that generous here. They are good at taking our money but not so good at giving it out. You only get an aged pension if you haven’t got much money, not like the UK.

Rosalyn69 Fri 27-May-22 14:16:19

I’d already decided to give mine to charity.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 27-May-22 14:16:23

I said it was a matter of personal perception Bluebelle. I used to earn a lot of money, so do my son and daughter in law. The law can pay very well.

Callistemon21 Fri 27-May-22 14:19:16

nanna8

I wouldn’t mind 400 quid but they are not that generous here. They are good at taking our money but not so good at giving it out. You only get an aged pension if you haven’t got much money, not like the UK.

Yes, it's means-tested, isn't it.
But it is more generous than the UK state pension if anyone is entitled to it.

I do remember a largish handout to parents when a baby was born but it wasn't like the ISAs here. The parents were allowed to spend it as they wished.

Mine Fri 27-May-22 14:45:42

People who's bank books keep replenishing themselves after they spend spend spend are rich....If I make a large purchase I have to cut back and save hard to make that money up.....I imagine most of grans have to do the same

Doodledog Fri 27-May-22 15:03:15

Being rich is like being poor, insofar as it is a relative state.

I am rich compared to someone who needs to use a food bank to feed her children, and I am mega-rich compared to someone who lives on the streets and doesn't know where the next meal is coming from.

I am poor compared to someone who can afford to spend £30k a term for each of their children to go to an exclusive school, or who spends more than my annual income on a week's holiday.

foxie48 Fri 27-May-22 15:14:34

I'm neither rich nor poor but I can live comfortably within my means. OH and I will be giving any extra money we get to a charity and make sure it's gift aided. It's what we do with the winter heating allowance.

Esspee Fri 27-May-22 17:22:00

annsixty

I have just read that second home owners will receive the payment for both homes.

Please tell me that is not true.

Joseanne Fri 27-May-22 17:28:58

timetogo2016

I never look at the price tag on expensive £££ things, but will toss up between supermarket items to save a couple of pence. I guess that old saying is true!

Lark123 Fri 27-May-22 17:52:55

Truly wealthy individuals would feel it a shame to accept some sort of rebate, and I would imagine they would either pass it along to a relative, perhaps not as fortunate as themselves financially, or to a favourite charity or organization.

"Rich" is subjective.
You can have "rich" people with pots of money who happily spend any windfall on themselves and you have others who feel "rich" because they are happy in their circumstances and are pleased to share with those they feel are less fortunate.

I guess it comes down to personality trait more than being "rich" whether you are altruistic and miserly.

Lark123 Fri 27-May-22 18:19:52

Sorry for the unintended oxymoron: you can't be both altruistic and miserly of coursehmm

Jane43 Fri 27-May-22 18:35:54

Esspee

annsixty

Yes it’s true. Not just second home owners but those with multiple homes will get £400 for each home they own.

Serendipity22 Fri 27-May-22 19:57:52

In my view the answer is not black and white, how can it be stipulated ?
smile

JaneJudge Fri 27-May-22 19:59:48

How can Rishi Sunak's family not be rich? He went to Winchester College which is 45k pa in todays money

JaneJudge Fri 27-May-22 20:02:38

Jane43

Esspee

annsixty

Yes it’s true. Not just second home owners but those with multiple homes will get £400 for each home they own.

well they wont if they are rental homes, the people living there will claim it?

Although I see people's point that everyone will get it, even rich people but it's cheaper than means testing it. Although I loathe this government and don't need the £400 myself* I think it makes sense to do it like this

*I do enough voluntary work and contributions to not feel even remotely guilty

Whiff Fri 27-May-22 23:47:41

I consider myself rich not in money as I have to be very careful. I wasn't brought up with money so have always made a little stretch. Through saving and going without meant we brought our own home the year before we got married.

When people say rich they always seem to mean money. And I know the OP meant it that way. But to me rich means lots of different ways .

I would like a holiday but will wait for another 2 years until I get my state pension. Last had a holiday in 2005 and only because I promised my husband I would have one a year after he died. Had 4 days in York.

My husband died at 47. He worked for 30 years and I have been told I will get 43p a week from his NI contributions.