Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Car Insurance Query.

(15 Posts)
midgey Wed 13-Jul-22 16:01:52

My car insurance runs out first week in August. My son is visiting from abroad the last weeks of July. If I renew my insurance early to include him, so potentially overlapping, is this legal or illegal?

mumofmadboys Wed 13-Jul-22 16:34:26

You can add your sin to your existing policy for a week or two. Does your son have a UK license? I think this is important to the insurance company

mumofmadboys Wed 13-Jul-22 16:34:49

Or even your son!!

NotSpaghetti Wed 13-Jul-22 16:42:48

My son has been living in America. His UK licence has run out now and can't be renewed. Only UK residents can apply for a UK driving licence. Does he still have a valid one?

Why not just ask your insurance company about this? No point finding out too late that your company is not going to pay out after an event!

FlexibleFriend Wed 13-Jul-22 16:44:05

Admiral have a policy that you can take out for a week a day whatever, I've used it a few times when my son was visiting and using my car, cost me about 50quid a time very handy and doesn't matter who you are currently insured with.
www.admiral.com/car-insurance/temporary-car-insurance

SueDonim Wed 13-Jul-22 16:49:46

Just amend your current policy to include your son. Why pay for a year’s cover for your son when he’ll only use your car for a couple of weeks?

I don’t know whether it’s illegal to have two policies but as I understand it, if you need to claim for something, the earlier policy takes precedence so that wouldn’t work anyway.

Septimia Wed 13-Jul-22 18:21:33

NotSpaghetti, I believe that he can drive on hi US licence (if he has one) for a period of time. You would need to check the technical details.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 13-Jul-22 20:14:25

You will have to ring them anyway, they will tell you if it is possible.

Chewbacca Wed 13-Jul-22 21:02:58

My DS was temporarily without a car for a few weeks and so I lent him mine so that he could get to work. I simply phoned my insurance company, gave them all his details, paid £35 over the phone and he was then fully comp insured for 3 months usage. If I hadn't done that, and he'd been involved in a RTA, his own insurance would have covered him for only 3rd party, fire and theft. For a small amount of money, everyone has peace of mind.

NotSpaghetti Wed 13-Jul-22 21:04:06

Yes, but I can only put him on my insurance as a temporary driver or take out a separate policy as someone suggested earlier.

NotSpaghetti Wed 13-Jul-22 21:10:44

Chewbacca I have done that for my other son and daughter as "backup" but my American resident son only has a US license now as his UK one is expired. They would not put him on in the same way.

Maybe some companies accept overseas licences.

Chewbacca Wed 13-Jul-22 21:14:39

I'd give them a ring NotSpaghetti, best to have expert advice from the get go and then, God forbid you'd ever need to make a claim, at least you'd have done the right thing and followed their advice.

mumofmadboys Wed 13-Jul-22 23:34:37

We are with Directline. I added my son for 2 days for the grand sum of £5.20.

Teacheranne Thu 14-Jul-22 00:51:39

NotSpaghetti

Chewbacca I have done that for my other son and daughter as "backup" but my American resident son only has a US license now as his UK one is expired. They would not put him on in the same way.

Maybe some companies accept overseas licences.

I insured my car for my sister, who lives in the US, to drive it when she visited me at Christmas. She has never held a UK licence having learnt to drive in the US. I do have an automatic car so I don’t know if that made a difference, I don’t think I would have trusted her in a manual one!

I can’t remember how much I paid, about £25 I think.

NotSpaghetti Thu 14-Jul-22 02:08:29

Well thanks, I'll check again next time he visits -I'm with a new insurance company now.
Yes this is a manual but he drive a manual as well as an automatic in America.