Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Bank details

(5 Posts)
Daddima Mon 18-Jul-22 15:19:45

Following on from seabreeze’s post about a possible scam, I noticed many people advising her not to give her bank details, even one saying that a friend’s bank account was cleared out by someone to whom they had given their details. Surely your bank details are on cheques ( remember them?), so what use are they to anyone? Or am I missing something?

Riverwalk Mon 18-Jul-22 15:25:22

Yes details are on cheques, but with scammers the next step would be to somehow prise your PIN/password from you, so the least they know the better.

Once you've taken the initial bait the criminals are halfway there.

Chestnut Mon 18-Jul-22 15:28:44

I'm not sure what use the bank account and sort code are on their own. You give that to people when you want them to transfer money to your account. But you can't take money out without some kind of authorisation, usually a text to your mobile phone. If the scammers have found a way to by-pass that then we are all at risk because we do give out bank account details and sort code quite often.

When you buy online you give your card details and even the 3 digit number on the back!

MawtheMerrier Mon 18-Jul-22 15:33:02

Of course they are!

Mine Mon 18-Jul-22 15:43:48

My bank card was hacked online and I didn't notice it till statement came in....I now use Internet banking and only card I use online is my credit card as... My bank paid me back the money that was spent on my card...It was used on amazon....