Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Dating Agency disappoints

(19 Posts)
Athenia Sun 24-Jul-22 14:50:54

Dear Grans,
At the age of 73, after much thought, I decided to sign up one last time with a Christian Dating Agency that I had not tried before.
It is quite high profile, advertises among others in The Spectator and Private Eye, and costs £50 per month for basic membership.
The agency starts well by sending as part of your membership a professional photographer to your home to take the photos for your profile.
However, on receiving my first list of seven possible contacts, I was very disappointed to discover that none of them had any interest for me at all.
I now understand that the only criterion used for matching was age.
So they included men who were mainly on very basic employment levels such as taxi driver, car valeter, care worker etc.
I have also received a message on their site to my inbox from a man whose details were not in my list, that reads as follows:
'Can you fix up massage it won't let Apip says error.'
Quite apart from the fact that this sentence has spelling errors and an indecipherable word, right next to it is my email address. I cannot help wondering if the writer is familiar with the internet.
I am a retired teacher, with postgraduate qualifications in psychology and German Studies, as well as an ongoing interest in journalism and spirituality.
My profile was changed by the agency from my first person answers to questions on their website, written very carefully, to third person description; this results in very stilted language.
The website has spelling and grammatical errors in it that make me question why on earth I am doing this, as the overall impression is unprofessional.
The site sends invitations to repeated Zoom meetings, something I heartily dislike and have avoided in general up to now.
To put it bluntly, I don't want to be seen as the oldest on the screen.
I have also been offered, at no extra cost, a phone consultation 'coaching call', "to explore any particular issues you may have and how to overcome anything that might stop you being successful in finding your soulmate".
Well, I had seven years of counselling to enable me to have the courage to divorce my narcissist husband after a long marriage.
This was followed by 22 years of six monthly depression every year. I now understand this to have been the product of the emotional abuse and coercive control in the marriage, and was in fact caused by Complex PTSD.
I have finally been free of depression for the past three years, and am living the life I always longed for, with a beautiful horse I see every day too.
But a horse is not a husband.
What concerns me is that so far, £100 has left my bank account to this agency, with very little except a few photos to show for it.
My payments of £50 per month are on Direct Debit.
I was told initially on signing up that I was contracted for a year. However, I am prepared to cancel the Direct Debit and argue that under Consumer law, the product that this company offers is not fit for purpose.
Do I have a right to do this?
I would be very grateful for your feedback.

Chewbacca Sun 24-Jul-22 15:00:57

You'd need to read the Terms & Conditions of contract to see what their cancellation policy is. You may also be able to cancel under the "cooling off " period which, by law in the UK, is a minimum of 14 days, but, again, check their T's & Cs.

Elizabeth27 Sun 24-Jul-22 15:08:19

It sounds like they have fulfilled their obligation of matching you with people so doubt you can opt out.

There are intelligent, kind, fun taxi drivers and care workers, maybe you should give people a chance.

Sparklefizz Sun 24-Jul-22 17:08:03

I would insist on a refund.

Sparklefizz Sun 24-Jul-22 17:11:18

I have just re-read your post - I would cancel your Direct Debit immediately so that if they want more money, they would have to chase you for it. Check the Terms & Conditions to see what they say they are offering. They have poorly altered your profile which should give you a get-out for a start. Are they based in the UK? (assuming you are?)

Sparklefizz Sun 24-Jul-22 17:12:45

... and you have received a very dodgy message. What do they have to say about that?

Chestnut Sun 24-Jul-22 17:31:30

There are several alarm bells, the poor grammar, the random message, it all looks very dodgy. I would be very wary of the whole thing especially considering the large amounts of money leaving your account. Check the T&C immediately and stop your direct debit.

Glorianny Sun 24-Jul-22 18:26:52

Some of what you say has happened is a bad service and entitles you to ask for a refund. But I think you should realise that just designating people as suitable by their employment is not a good idea. I seem to remember a taxi driver was an early winner on Mastermind . So perhaps intellectually your equal.

wildswan16 Sun 24-Jul-22 19:23:41

If you really want to close your membership I think a complaint about the dodgy email you received might give you a good excuse. If it definitely came through their site then that is not acceptable and shows a lack of control.

But I also think that they appear to give you quite a lot of service for your money. Zoom meetings, coaching, personal photographer etc do not come cheap.

Katie59 Sun 24-Jul-22 21:40:10

Cancel the DD, write it down to experience and use the photos if they were good on a mainstream dating site.

Shelflife Sun 24-Jul-22 21:48:24

All looks dodgy to me, back out in any way you can. Being a 'Christian' agency is no guarantee of good service. I would also suggest you please think carefully before snubbing a taxi driver , care worker etc, you are an intelligent woman but they may also be as bright as you, please engage your good brain ! You are now free of depression, have a wonderful horse who means the world to you and are living the life you always longed for , after a very bad marriage you have survived so now enjoy your freedom . Who knows Mr Right may cross your path when you least expect it! but for now relax and enjoy your life. In your position a new husband would be the last thing on my mind. I wish you good luck and happiness.

Mizuna Sun 24-Jul-22 22:16:11

I joined a Christian dating agency for quite a while and met several really nice men, though I decided in the end to remain single. I had no strange messages and it cost me £48 every three months. By the way, my highly intelligent, articulate son is a taxi driver. I would be careful of dismissing people because of perceived stereotypes. You may miss out on relationships that way.

geekesse Mon 25-Jul-22 08:16:35

Two questions come to mind. First, why is the OP so keen to find a husband after such an unpleasant experience of marriage? Second, I wonder why someone who clearly prides herself on being highly qualified and literate does’t know how to use paragraphs?

Kandinsky Mon 25-Jul-22 08:37:32

So they included men who were mainly on very basic employment levels such as taxi driver, car valeter, care worker etc

I think they had a lucky escape.

StarDreamer Mon 25-Jul-22 08:56:42

Why did their employment even get listed?

Did it say anything about their beliefs?

Did it say anything about their hobbies?

Yammy Mon 25-Jul-22 10:06:22

Which is the scam the Dating site or the poster?

icanhandthemback Mon 25-Jul-22 10:27:49

So far you have chosen not to take up any of the services offered by the dating agency when it is pretty obvious that you might need help about why you are not able to find a relationship with the people offered.
Some of the most intelligent people are unable to write a sentence without a spelling mistake. This maybe because they suffer from dyslexia or weren't lucky enough to receive the sort of education you received.
I thought Christians were supposed to see the good in people, not how educated they were or what job they did.
As for the company, I suspect you should probably put your complaints in writing first but it would be better to seek help from the Trading Standards Office first so you know exactly what you should do to get your money back or the contract stopped.

Redhead56 Mon 25-Jul-22 10:45:07

Why does the poster feel the need to look for a man when living the life…. Intelligence does not stop anyone having the problems life can bring illness or baggage!
It’s unfair to judge a person by their job it's insulting and disrespectful. Count the financial losses and carry on living the life horse and all…

Judy54 Mon 25-Jul-22 13:28:24

Perhaps an agency for professional people may suit your needs better. What we did before we retired is not always relevant. It depends what you are looking for. Is it someone to share your ongoing interest in journalism and spirituality or are you open to sharing another persons interests. Are you looking for companionship, someone to go to the theatre with, for lunch or dinner or a coffee? Only when you work out what you actually want from a dating agency will you be able to move forward.