Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Hospital negligence ?

(13 Posts)
Grammy666 Sun 31-Jul-22 18:31:44

Can I sue if during a hospital procedure the aneasethist broke my Dental Bridge as he removed the airway tube ? The hospital have ignored my letter so far ...Can I ask for a copy of my Hospital records ?... I have an estimate of the costs .. any advice welcome .. thanks ..

ElaineI Sun 31-Jul-22 18:37:19

You can but they should have a complaints procedure to use rather than just a letter. Did you tell someone when it was done?

Soroptimum Sun 31-Jul-22 18:45:46

Whenever I’ve had a general anaesthetic, I have been asked if I have any loose teeth, dentures etc. so I’m not sure why you left the plate in situ?

rosie1959 Sun 31-Jul-22 18:49:08

Soroptimum

Whenever I’ve had a general anaesthetic, I have been asked if I have any loose teeth, dentures etc. so I’m not sure why you left the plate in situ?

It was a bridge not a plate

Soroptimum Sun 31-Jul-22 18:53:34

rosie1959

Soroptimum

Apologies - didn’t appreciate the difference!

Elizabeth27 Sun 31-Jul-22 18:57:37

The consent form states that teeth may be damaged and they are not liable, I do not know if this includes a bridge.

Fleurpepper Sun 31-Jul-22 18:58:53

rosie1959

Soroptimum

Same, should have told the anaesthetist and removed.

LtEve Sun 31-Jul-22 18:59:57

I doubt it would be considered negligent to break a bridge when intubating. It’s actually quite common to damage teeth especially bridges etc.

Casdon Sun 31-Jul-22 19:04:16

This is a known risk during general anaesthesia, which should have been discussed with you as part of the consent process. If you get your case notes you will be able to see exactly what happened, in the meantime I’d be wary of claiming the breakage was due to negligence without the full facts. The consent form will be included with your case notes. If you decide to make a claim you will need to do so through the Legal Department of the hospital rather than the complaints process.

GrannyLaine Sun 31-Jul-22 19:13:07

I'd agree with LtEve
I've been having some conversations with my dentist about a bridge as a treatment option and he has warned me about the possibility of it breaking. I've never known an anaesthetist to be careless about extubation. I really think you'd be on a hiding to nothing Grammy 666

rosie1959 Sun 31-Jul-22 19:14:37

Fleurpepper

rosie1959

Soroptimum

Same, should have told the anaesthetist and removed.

You can’t just remove dental bridges they are fixed

Farzanah Sun 31-Jul-22 19:18:38

I was warned by the anaesthetist prior to GA that any crowned, bridged teeth may be damaged during procedure.
I think there’s always that risk..

Charleygirl5 Sun 31-Jul-22 20:54:10

I agree with Casdon and Farzanah I would say the answer is no because it is well known that it can happen.

From memory, they have 28 days to reply to you.