Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

State Pension mistake? Family allowance not taken into consideration.

(25 Posts)
bikergran Wed 14-Dec-22 09:05:14

I recieved my state pension lasy year, I just did what you had to do on line, I had not worked for a number of years as I cared for my dh.

When I recievd my state pension it was not the full one, I asumed it was because I had not enough contributions. So accepted that.

I still work part time, so just carried on.

But on chatting to a collegue, she was telling me about her friend who has got the full pension as they took family allowance into consideration for the times she was at home looking after chidren.

I have just re read my Letter I recieved about my state pension and right at the bottom it says " you have told us that you did not recieve Family Allowance after 1978" Well I told them no such thing, as I had my first child in 1975 and second one in the 80s.

Thought I would pop this on to gn in case anyone else needs to clarify it.

Guess who I will be on the phone to shortly hmm

Maggiemaybe Wed 14-Dec-22 09:46:35

Oh, it looks as though you could be in for a rise and a back pay bonus, Bikergran! You should have been credited with all the years in which you were in receipt of Child Benefit.

Fingers crossed for you - I’ve found that it can take forever to get through to the Pensions department (I once nodded off while I was waiting), but they’re really friendly and helpful when you do. In my experience there’s no point in writing or emailing, as it takes months to get an answer, if you get one at all.

You can set up a Government Gateway account and look at your National Insurance and tax records there, to check if they’re correct. I’ll post the link if I can find it.

glammanana Wed 14-Dec-22 09:48:39

"Biker" Thats well worth checking I hope they deal with it quickly for you they will send you a nice little bonus to treat yourself with.

Maggiemaybe Wed 14-Dec-22 09:49:40

This is the link, Bikergran.

www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

bikergran Wed 14-Dec-22 13:21:38

Hi Maggie yes I have Gov gateway, it does say some missing years, So deff going to look into it.

Hi Glamm smile

Wheniwasyourage Wed 14-Dec-22 13:25:01

Good luck, bikergran, and enjoy your (earned) windfall when you get it! 🍾

V3ra Wed 14-Dec-22 22:03:54

You should get Home Responsibilities Protection as it's called (or was?) until your youngest child is 16 if you receive family allowance.
This provides the national insurance credit for those years towards your state pension.

A friend mistakenly thought it was until her youngest left school (at 18). She had to back-pay two years worth of contributions to maintain her full pension entitlement.

Coolgran65 Thu 15-Dec-22 03:40:33

Wouldn't you think that just having your national insurance number would have automatically brought up the information on the child benefit years.
I hope it is sorted out speedily. And yes, actually talking to someone is the way to go.

NotSpaghetti Thu 15-Dec-22 05:34:32

bikergran, I hope it doesn't happen to you but when I discovered this had happened to me I had a series of communications with them thinking it was going to be simple. I have five children so there were little ones for all the missing years and gave them all possible info but still they would do nothing about it.

The reason was that they insisted that I needed to give them the actual child benefit numbers of my children - which I don't have.
I wrote elsewhere to try to obtain these numbers (as printed on the slips which you took to the post-office) and was told they don't keep them! angry

I went round in circles for about 2 years and gave up. I hope their processing has changed and you have more success. ...perhaps you have these 40 year old numbers somewhere anyway. I do hope so.
Good luck!
🍀

Please come back and tell us how you are getting on. 🤞

bikergran Thu 22-Dec-22 09:27:00

Not Spagetti gosh that must have infuriated you (of course I kept all my numbers, Not!whos doesn't} you couldn't make it up could you.

So as yet I am still waiting for a letter from Pensions (7/10 days) pigeon post.

or 6/12 mnths via Royal Mail. I won't hold my breath.

NotSpaghetti Thu 22-Dec-22 10:01:40

bikergran Would you be so kind as to let me know if they tell you you need the child benefit numbers and if so, if you find a way round not having them please?

I sent the children's NI numbers but that wouldn't do.
🙄

NotSpaghetti Thu 22-Dec-22 10:02:43

Also sent DoB info etc. BTW.

Maggiemaybe Thu 22-Dec-22 10:04:15

Fingers crossed for you, bikergran.

I had a letter from Pensions this week replying to one I sent them 15 months ago. With my letter I’d enclosed a form they’d sent directly to me to fill in - I’d completed it but sent a covering note to say I was pretty sure they’d sent me the wrong form, as most of the questions weren’t relevant to my situation.

Their reply was just to tell me I’d filled in the wrong form. grin

Poppyred Thu 22-Dec-22 10:37:30

If you put “COMPLAINT” on the top of any correspondence they tend to jump and take notice! 😂

V3ra Thu 22-Dec-22 16:12:46

NotSpaghetti bit of a long shot but did you ever have your Child Benefit paid directly into your bank account?
If you have any old bank statements filed away there might be a reference number on them?
🤞🤞🤞

NotSpaghetti Fri 23-Dec-22 09:49:39

V3ra thank you.
Unfortunatelym no.
We opted for the post office when there was a choice.
Good idea though!

bikergran Mon 26-Dec-22 07:37:51

NotSpaghetti yes of course I will. As yet still waiting for the so called letter to arrive.

Of course I may be totaly wrong and not be entitled to full pension,but the reading at the bottom of the letter saying I told them I hadn't claimed family allowance has me puzzled.

We shall see.

NotSpaghetti Tue 17-Jan-23 16:12:16

Any news yet *bikergran?
Can't believe it's not joined-up in any way.

Has anyone else solved this problem I wonder?

bikergran Wed 18-Jan-23 11:18:04

Not a peep ! was told a letter would be with me in 7/10 days/I contacted them around the 15th Dec.

As I say probably pigeon post hmm

Will check my gov, gateway account and see if any corrosponcence has been noted.

Chardy Wed 18-Jan-23 11:25:02

I thought that being in receipt of Family Allowance paid the NatIns of the person (whose name was on their file (not necessarily the stay at home parent) until that child reached a certain age. As with all govt things, I think that age changeds (from 12 to 6?).

If you do get 'backpay' it will all go on one financial year and so may increase your tax payments.

Good luck

NotSpaghetti Wed 18-Jan-23 12:01:33

It's not the "backpay" Chardy it's the NI.
We have nearly 5 years missing we are trying to remedy.

NotSpaghetti Wed 18-Jan-23 12:02:38

It was called
"Home Responsibility Payment" I think.

V3ra Wed 18-Jan-23 17:42:48

NotSpaghetti

It was called

Home Responsibilities Protection.
The child benefit payments up to your last child being 16 should be taken into account and your National Insurance record credited accordingly.

They only credit full tax years though.
I have two incomplete years on my N.I. record: my daughter was born at the end of April in 1981 and my last son was 16 in October 1984, so those two years don't count.

A friend thought it was until her son left school, at 18, and she had to make up two years N.I. contributions so she would get her full state pension.

Callistemon21 Wed 18-Jan-23 18:17:10

V3ra

You should get Home Responsibilities Protection as it's called (or was?) until your youngest child is 16 if you receive family allowance.
This provides the national insurance credit for those years towards your state pension.

A friend mistakenly thought it was until her youngest left school (at 18). She had to back-pay two years worth of contributions to maintain her full pension entitlement.

A friend thought it was until her son left school, at 18, and she had to make up two years N.I. contributions so she would get her full state pension.

I think you could receive Child Benefit until the child was 18 or 19 and in full-time education (not Higher Education).
Perhaps that's where the confusion arose.

I was paying a full stamp again by the time the youngest was 6 so HRP didn't apply to me.

Callistemon21 Wed 18-Jan-23 18:23:42

NotSpaghetti

It was called

Home Responsibilities Protection didn't start until 1978, as far as I remember and ended in April 2010.