Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

SWAPPING OUT OLD 1st & 2nd CLASS STAMPS

(13 Posts)
Vintagenonna Tue 10-Jan-23 10:47:04

Polite reminder : if you have a stock of old stamps (1st and 2nd class) that aren't barcoded you need to return them to the the Swap Out service at royal mail. In return you will get the equal value in similar bar-coded stamps.

In theory the old non-barcoded ones cease to be valid after end of January, this year.

There are forms to pick up from post offices to send off for the swop or you can contact royalmail.com/swapoutsupport phone 03452 660 804 for the relevant form to send your old stamps back (no postage required!).

Post Offices can't swop them for you, by the way

Mine took about 7 days to swop.

midgey Tue 10-Jan-23 10:49:27

I think the date for using old stamps has been extended. It is now July 31st.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 10-Jan-23 10:59:54

That’s correct midgey, I came across the information whilst tracking a parcel. I don’t think it’s been widely publicised.

MawtheMerrier Tue 10-Jan-23 11:36:59

I think the PO have shot themselves in the foot as fewer and fewer people seem to be using postal services.
I used up all my “old” stamps on this year’s Christmas cards - starting with the elderly rellies and friends far away, I simply stopped when I had used up all my stamps- about 40.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 10-Jan-23 11:48:49

Sometimes the stamp costs more than the card these days. And I expect it won’t be long before the price goes up yet again - generally around April isn’t it?

Vintagenonna Tue 10-Jan-23 12:27:40

Glad the 'use by' date has been extended - thanks for the update, midgey.

FannyCornforth Tue 10-Jan-23 12:45:47

I’m very confused about this!
(As are the Royal Mail I think)

Commercial radio stations are currently regularly playing the RM ‘advert’ voiced by Zoe Wanamaker telling the public to use the stamps by 31st January

As I said, confusing confused

FannyCornforth Tue 10-Jan-23 12:49:51

The ‘deadline’ is 31st January, but there is ‘a period of grace’ until 31st July when post will still be delivered.
amp.theguardian.com/money/2022/dec/23/royal-mail-non-barcoded-stamps-deadline

Wheniwasyourage Tue 10-Jan-23 12:55:41

Since when did "swap" become "swap out"? It annoys me every time I see it. angry

FannyCornforth Tue 10-Jan-23 12:59:08

Ditto!

MayBee70 Tue 10-Jan-23 14:47:26

Do you get the equivalent number of stamps or just the equivalent value ( ie less stamps?). I’m just in the process of sending my old stamps to them. I can’t see anyone sending Christmas cards in future with the cost of postage. I thought I was being clever a couple of years ago stocking up on stamps.

Parsley3 Tue 10-Jan-23 15:43:40

You get the same number of stamps back MayBee.

Vintagenonna Tue 10-Jan-23 17:06:05

As Parsley3 says, you get the same number of stamps back rather than the number equivalent to the value of those you sent.

Surprised to offend with 'swap out' rather than 'swap'. Funny what annoys us, isn't it?

We could start a new thread . . .