Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Scams and information

(10 Posts)
ExDancer Fri 27-Jan-23 10:16:45

If you get a message offering inclusion in a draw (like the ones on here such as the current Revitive coach one) and you're asked to pay £1 by credit card. And you give your card number before realising its a scam........ can they then use your card?
If so how on earth do you contact your bank?
I cannot find a contact number anywhere!

BeverleyJB Fri 27-Jan-23 10:22:13

If you think your credit card details have been compromised, it's important to notify the card issuer as soon as possible so that you are protected from any potential future fraudulent transactions.
The card providers have websites which will show you the telephone number to call.
HTh

MerylStreep Fri 27-Jan-23 10:22:22

Search online. All bank contact numbers are there.

toscalily Fri 27-Jan-23 10:23:55

I would think the contact telephone numbers are on the documents regarding account set up or the banks own website.

ExDancer Fri 27-Jan-23 10:29:39

The number on the card is automated with a 15 min wait time on an 0345 number. I am still holding on and am 5th in the queue - is this costing a lot of money?

CraftyGranny Fri 27-Jan-23 10:30:12

The contact number is on the back of my card

ExDancer Fri 27-Jan-23 10:31:34

Thats the one I'm waiting to answer, I'm still 5th

ExDancer Fri 27-Jan-23 11:12:43

Finally - 45mins waiting. Card cancelled.
I have a feeling that 0345 number will be super expensive though not as expensive as it could have been.
Waiting for a new card now.
What an idiot - I thought I was more savvy than that - I' soo ashamed!

MerylStreep Fri 27-Jan-23 11:42:09

ExDancer
It’s charged at local rate.
www.numbersupermarket.co.uk/difference-0345-number-0845-numbers/

lemsip Fri 27-Jan-23 12:49:53

I once sent off online for free sample of something and had to pay £1 'postage'. I didn't receive the sample but £85 went from my account for two months running before I noticed.......
I check account online every day now.

I went straight to in my bank cancelled card and reported fraud,. I got the money back fortunately