Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Premium Bonds …. Shake em up!

(19 Posts)
Pittcity Thu 02-Feb-23 14:47:04

On checking the NS&I app this morning there was a notice saying that it made no difference if you cashed bonds in and bought different ones.

We withdrew some after a January win and won nothing this month. It's purely the luck of the draw.

Kateykrunch Thu 02-Feb-23 10:15:10

Well, did my ‘shaking em up’ work…..on checking this morning I see I have won £100, yay! I have started a Feb Premium Bond thread if anyone wants to share any good news, Good Luck.

muse Tue 31-Jan-23 17:33:01

I don't post much on GN these days but checking my posts is my weakness, not my maths. You're right Franbern. It should have read 100 lots.

The bonds I bought 3 years ago have earned me nearly 4% interest through prizes - far more than leaving it in the bank.
I've never regarded it as an investment but as ready access to funds to help with our new home.

It's all down to luck but I will check next time if I win KateyKrunch, to see if my reinvested lump sum has the winning number.

Kateykrunch Tue 31-Jan-23 16:29:35

muse

I hold almost the full amount of bonds I can have. Had them for three years and wins started to drop off early last year. I sold half of them and bought them back - prizes did pick up.

Numbers are always consecutive - so my thought was that say buy £10,000 worth (10,000 consecutive numbers) and that would stand a slightly better chance at winning than 10 lots of £100 bought at different times. Perhaps I should start to check the actual numbers that I win with, to prove this theory !

Looking forward to prize day on 2nd February.

I do keep a note of my winning bond numbers. It would be an interesting experiment to see if a 10 x £100 purchase wins more than 1 x £1,000 purchase. Good luck though.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 31-Jan-23 16:27:06

The ones we have won on are of all different ages. I'm quite happy to believe it's random and a win is always cheering.

Kateykrunch Tue 31-Jan-23 16:26:41

annsixty

I have just cashed in a large amount to pay an unexpected bill and will be investing monthly now to try to recoup some so I will let you know if it really does make a difference.

Lets hope so, good luck!

Kateykrunch Tue 31-Jan-23 16:26:09

grandMattie

I’ve found that out too. So occasionally I sell half or a third of my holding and start again.

Good Luck!

Kateykrunch Tue 31-Jan-23 16:25:44

Kim19

I've heard if one cashes in complete holding and replaces same with more recent issue numbers results are often pleasant. Of course, could always be a complete coincidence. I've always resisted because I think the time involved would exclude them from a draw. Don't know if that's necessarily true......?

Hi, if you reinvest your winnings they go into the next draw. New purchases have to stand one month then go into the next draw. It is very easy to withdraw, takes 3 days for money to appear in your account. (Obviously providing you have the accounts set up online etc).

Kateykrunch Tue 31-Jan-23 16:23:47

MawtheMerrier

I always thought they were sold in £25 units - no?

Hi, No, the minimum amount is £25 but you can buy any amount over that up to a maximum holding of £50,000.

Callistemon21 Tue 31-Jan-23 16:19:15

Franbern

Muse Ten lots of £100 is one thousand pounds. Not ten thousand pounds.
I do rather resent the fact that those who enough money to invest in the full amount ( about thirty five thousand pounds, I think), seem to stand such a far better chance of winning and many do month on month on month.

Why?

It just works as Rosie51 explains.
1 Bond = one chance
50,000 Bonds = 50,000 chances

But it only takes one Bond to win.

Do you mean you are resentful of those who managed to save a bit over their lifetimes and invested their retirement savings in Premium Bonds?

annsixty Tue 31-Jan-23 16:12:19

The full amount is actually £50,000.

Rosie51 Tue 31-Jan-23 16:00:44

It's just maths Franbern, if you bought one raffle ticket would you really expect to have the same chance of winning as somebody that bought 30? Why would anyone buy 30 tickets if it didn't increase their chance of winning? Each individual ticket has an equal chance, it's just one person holds one equal chance and the other holds 30 equal chances.

Franbern Tue 31-Jan-23 15:52:58

Muse Ten lots of £100 is one thousand pounds. Not ten thousand pounds.
I do rather resent the fact that those who enough money to invest in the full amount ( about thirty five thousand pounds, I think), seem to stand such a far better chance of winning and many do month on month on month.

MawtheMerrier Tue 31-Jan-23 12:55:39

I always thought they were sold in £25 units - no?

muse Tue 31-Jan-23 12:16:13

I hold almost the full amount of bonds I can have. Had them for three years and wins started to drop off early last year. I sold half of them and bought them back - prizes did pick up.

Numbers are always consecutive - so my thought was that say buy £10,000 worth (10,000 consecutive numbers) and that would stand a slightly better chance at winning than 10 lots of £100 bought at different times. Perhaps I should start to check the actual numbers that I win with, to prove this theory !

Looking forward to prize day on 2nd February.

annsixty Tue 31-Jan-23 12:00:02

I have just cashed in a large amount to pay an unexpected bill and will be investing monthly now to try to recoup some so I will let you know if it really does make a difference.

grandMattie Tue 31-Jan-23 11:51:59

I’ve found that out too. So occasionally I sell half or a third of my holding and start again.

Kim19 Tue 31-Jan-23 11:47:59

I've heard if one cashes in complete holding and replaces same with more recent issue numbers results are often pleasant. Of course, could always be a complete coincidence. I've always resisted because I think the time involved would exclude them from a draw. Don't know if that's necessarily true......?

Kateykrunch Tue 31-Jan-23 11:23:47

The old Bingo saying of shek em up!, well I am hoping I have done this with my premium bonds, we will see, there are lots of anecdotes about the fact that if you move money in and out of Premium Bonds rather than just leave em be, that you get a win. So, this month, instead of buying one lot, I have spread it over 3 purchases of daft amounts, £59, £86, £71, my idea is that it will have tweaked ERNIE and, well, I will definitely report back lol (Please note, I will wish to remain anonymous if its the Million pound win).