Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Utilities

(7 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 08-Feb-23 13:04:52

I read something today suggesting utility prices will not come down again in the UK.

Can someone explain to me, in words with few syllables, why this is? The companies are making huge profits. Why are the government and Ofgem allowing consumers to be hugely penalised for these massive profits? I'd understand if it was about lack of supply, but that doesn't seem to be the issue.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 08-Feb-23 13:09:37

This graph shows how the price of U.K. natural gas has plummeted.

I appreciate that we no longer store energy and that electricity, gas and fuel is purchased months in advance however, there doesn’t seem to be a reasonable excuse/reason why U.K. energy costs are due to rise again in April.

MerylStreep Wed 08-Feb-23 13:37:56

In words of one syllable: because we showed them in 2020 that we would do everything they told us to do.
The We’s are in italics because some of us didn’t obey them.
Why did David Camaron set up the nudge office in 2010?
To calculate what the British people would take.
In 2020 we showed them that we would take an awful lot.
Now they’re doing it with energy bills.

Dickens Wed 08-Feb-23 13:58:39

We've been conditioned - to accept the increase as inevitable.

Some will suffer greatly - but we've also been conditioned to believe that anyone who can't manage, doesn't know how to budget - or (as I keep reading on SM sites) such people should take on another job - or even two, and not "expect something for nothing".

With so many people blaming the poor for being poor- why should the government do anything to curb the profits of their mates, donors and supporters?

The French would be taking to the streets of course. I think we should, too. But we won't. It's not the British way is it?

pascal30 Wed 08-Feb-23 15:46:25

Dickens

We've been conditioned - to accept the increase as inevitable.

Some will suffer greatly - but we've also been conditioned to believe that anyone who can't manage, doesn't know how to budget - or (as I keep reading on SM sites) such people should take on another job - or even two, and not "expect something for nothing".

With so many people blaming the poor for being poor- why should the government do anything to curb the profits of their mates, donors and supporters?

The French would be taking to the streets of course. I think we should, too. But we won't. It's not the British way is it?

The group Insulate are trying to protest and they're being crushed by the courts..

Dickens Wed 08-Feb-23 17:29:49

pascal30

The group Insulate are trying to protest and they're being crushed by the courts.

That's true - and we knew the legislation would result in this - but I'm talking about the population as a whole. I think the French public, in general, are far less 'forgiving' and tolerant of their government(s).

pascal30 Wed 08-Feb-23 17:44:51

Dickens

pascal30

The group Insulate are trying to protest and they're being crushed by the courts.

That's true - and we knew the legislation would result in this - but I'm talking about the population as a whole. I think the French public, in general, are far less 'forgiving' and tolerant of their government(s).

Yes I agree.. just giving an example.. XR are growing in numbers and we have protests by various groups most w/e's in Brighton but I think you are correct in saying that as a country we are pretty apathetic...or feel we are powerless. It's certainly less aggressive here than in France where I lived for many years