Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Next of Kin

(4 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 12-Feb-23 17:46:39

I have been asked by my employers to provide them with details of my next-of-kin in case anything happens to me at work (I am required to travel quite a bit). My problem is, who should I ask? I have no living relatives who are speaking to me (basically I have a sister who couldn't be arsed coming to our mother's funeral a few years ago and I don't imagine for a minute she'd be much bothered about mine).

So, who do you think I should approach? Is it too much to ask of one of my friends?

NotAGran55 Sun 12-Feb-23 17:49:08

I would expect a beneficiary in my will to be my next of kin.

ParlorGames Sun 12-Feb-23 17:50:58

Assuming that you have written your will and appointed a solicitor I would suggest that you ask a close friend to be NOK and inform them of your situation and they can then act accordingly in the worse case scenario.

If it were simply a case of picking you up in the event of illness or something minor then a good friend wouldn't object surely?

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 12-Feb-23 18:30:56

Good thinking. I have now approached two of the beneficiaries of my will who are not institutions (I doubt if Wasdale Mountain Rescue or Cats Protection would be much help!)

And all they really need to do is let my solicitor know.