Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

How is tax paid when retired?

(56 Posts)
Oldnproud Thu 16-Feb-23 13:29:23

When pensions rise this year, it looks like an elderly relative might be pushed into the lower tax bracket.

They have just received a letter from the tax office giving a tax code, and instructions that if the code is correct, there is no need to contact the tax office.

Can anyone advise me on how to check that the code is correct, and what details would be needed in order to do it?

Also, assuming that they do have to pay tax, is it likely to be deducted at source from the very small private pension they receive?

They are in quite a flap about it, and will want/ need me to deal with any issues relating to this for them, so I would really appreciate any advice you can offer.

Cabbie21 Wed 01-Mar-23 23:08:34

Agreed.

Susie42 Wed 01-Mar-23 18:26:45

I just wish the whole tax system was simpler for both individuals and companies.

Cabbie21 Tue 28-Feb-23 13:52:10

How would you prefer the system to work, Susie?

Susie42 Tue 28-Feb-23 11:22:19

Germanshepherdsmum, I realise that more money means more tax, I was saying that the government gives with one hand and takes away with the other. I had a small increase in my state pension which was completely wiped out by a change of my tax code.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 22-Feb-23 14:17:49

It’s no different to receiving a salary increase - you get more money, you pay more tax.

Susie42 Wed 22-Feb-23 14:13:56

I’ve just received my tax coding for 2023/24 and it appears that I will be paying more tax due to the big increase in the state pension. I also did a rough calculation for 2024/25 and it appears that my state pension will then be taxed if the personal allowance is not increased, the triple lock is maintained, and inflation is still high in September 2023.

Dinahmo Wed 22-Feb-23 13:14:28

On the subject of tax - do you all know about the Marriage allowance? Here's a link to HMRC's notes on the subject.

www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance

Basically, if your income is less than the PA you can transfer up to £1260 of it to your partner (married or in civil partnership) You could save up to £252 in income tax. Worth having

Dinahmo Wed 22-Feb-23 13:04:58

growstuff

Callistemon I can see why there are two ways of calculation.

One is the way you have described to calculate the tax code and is done before the beginning of the tax year.

The one I was given is sent after the end of the tax year and shows what my income has actually been, the amount of tax already paid through my tax code and (in my case) the shortfall.

That's not a coding notice. They send out letters if they disagree with the information on your tax return.

Dinahmo Wed 22-Feb-23 13:03:21

Dickens

Thank you everyone for your clarification!

I thought that your total income was added up, then the personal allowance deducted from that total, and then you were taxed on any amount that exceeded it.

That is correct - the calculation showing exactly that will appear when completing your tax return (at least it does on my professional software)

growstuff Wed 22-Feb-23 13:00:31

Callistemon I can see why there are two ways of calculation.

One is the way you have described to calculate the tax code and is done before the beginning of the tax year.

The one I was given is sent after the end of the tax year and shows what my income has actually been, the amount of tax already paid through my tax code and (in my case) the shortfall.

Dinahmo Wed 22-Feb-23 12:58:55

M0nica

Yes, deducted from any other source of income they have. The state pension is never taxed.

It isn't taxed at source but it is taxable - depending upon the level if your other income.

growstuff Wed 22-Feb-23 12:57:17

Callistemon21

OldnProud said their relative had received a letter so it probably will be set out like mine, I think, * growstuff*.

It could have changed since last year though.

It comes to the same thing, however the calculation is set out.

If your total income exceeds the tax free allowance, it will be taxed, probably through an adjustment to the tax code on private pensions or other income.

Oldnproud Thu 16-Feb-23 18:31:00

NorthFace

I have done a sample calculation for you based on an occupational pension of £3600 pa (£300 a month) and the maximum state pension from April 2023.

The tax code will be the tax free allowance minus the annual state pension. If her pension is less, then substitute that. Lop off the last digit and substitute the letter L to get the code.

Thank you smile

Oldnproud Thu 16-Feb-23 18:29:51

By my rough calculations, they will definitely have some tax to pay in the coming tax year, Callistemon.

Five years ago they 'inherited' some SERPS or additional state pension (I don't know exactly what and nor do they) from late spouse. It increased their state pension considerably, and the 10.1% icrease in the state pension in April will mean that not enough of the personal tax allowance will be left to fully cover the small private pension too as it has up until now.

That's my current understanding anyway. Things might become clearer when I eventually get to see the letter for myself and check out the exact figures involved.

Thanks everyone for your input. It has been very helpful. smile

Dickens Thu 16-Feb-23 18:21:27

Thank you everyone for your clarification!

I thought that your total income was added up, then the personal allowance deducted from that total, and then you were taxed on any amount that exceeded it.

NorthFace Thu 16-Feb-23 18:04:33

I have done a sample calculation for you based on an occupational pension of £3600 pa (£300 a month) and the maximum state pension from April 2023.

The tax code will be the tax free allowance minus the annual state pension. If her pension is less, then substitute that. Lop off the last digit and substitute the letter L to get the code.

Callistemon21 Thu 16-Feb-23 17:59:48

If her total income is below the personal allowance she still won't pay tax, or very little.
Th Government doesn't plan to put the Personal Allowance up for a while.

If she has a lot of savings it would be a good idea to switch them into ISAs and PB, which are tax-free.

Oldnproud Thu 16-Feb-23 17:57:15

Callistemon21

OldnProud said their relative had received a letter so it probably will be set out like mine, I think, * growstuff*.

I think you are right, Callistemon.

The person in question tried to read the letter out to me yesterday over the phone. Without actually being able to see it, it was double-dutch to me, but on reflexion, it sounded to be set out very much like your letter.

Thisismyname1953 Thu 16-Feb-23 17:55:13

They can’t take tax from her old age pension so it will come out of her private pension . It won’t be much if she only gets a small private pension. I get my old age pension plus a small pension from my late husband and a works pension of my own . I don’t pay a lot of tax .

Callistemon21 Thu 16-Feb-23 17:35:45

growstuff Thu 16-Feb-23 17:34:01

Nobody's state pension exceeds the personal allowance (unless they have an extraordinary amount of SERPS), but people with any private/occupational pension and/or other income (from rentals, etc) will almost certainly pay tax. Therefore, the increase in state pension will increase the total income and the increase will be taxed.

Callistemon21 Thu 16-Feb-23 17:32:26

growstuff

I have never received any letters.

I do all mine online. I filled out the form and then the calculation was done for me. They added all my income together, deducted the personal allowance and the amount I'd already paid through my tax codes and told me to pay the rest.

Yes, DH does his online but his is more complicated than mine.

growstuff Thu 16-Feb-23 17:31:18

I printed it off and I've got it in front of me.

Callistemon21 Thu 16-Feb-23 17:31:16

Dickens

Callistemon21

The letter which informs you of your tax code is set out thus:

Personal Allowance: £....
Less State Pension: £....
Total Tax-free Amount = £....

Your total tax-free amount is used as follows:
Other Pensions: £....
Other Income: £....

I'm confused (feel pity not scorn, I'm a complete dunce in some areas).

Doesn't everyone have the same standard Personal Allowance of £12,570 income on which you do not have to pay tax?

Is the State Pension then deducted from that amount?

Yes, everyone has that Personal Allowance.

I don't know if anyone's State Pension would exceed that amount but I doubt it.
The State Pension is deducted from the Personal Allowance first.

If, of course their State Pension does exceed that amount, £12,570 at present, then any amount above would be taxable.

I don't know why I blanked it out on mine, it's not a secret! 😂

growstuff Thu 16-Feb-23 17:30:28

I have never received any letters.

I do all mine online. I filled out the form and then the calculation was done for me. They added all my income together, deducted the personal allowance and the amount I'd already paid through my tax codes and told me to pay the rest.