Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

House Insurance When Away.

(10 Posts)
Framilode Fri 03-Mar-23 14:43:51

Thanks so much for all the answers. We have started searching.

Teacheranne Fri 03-Mar-23 13:20:02

We paid a small supplement with LV to insure my mums house when it was empty after she moved into a care home. There was however a requirement that someone checked the house regularly ( possibly weekly) but as this was during the first lockdown, we were not required to do that.

I was very relieved that we did pay for this cover after a burst mains water pipe caused over £20k of damage - all paid by the insurance!

Jaxjacky Fri 03-Mar-23 10:19:07

Our friends have a mutual friend stay in their house three nights a week when they’re away for long trips. Deters opportunists as well.

dragonfly46 Fri 03-Mar-23 09:20:57

According to Money Supermarket you can buy an add-on.

notgran Fri 03-Mar-23 09:02:21

I have heard of this and friends who usually spend November to March in New Zealand and Dubai always have someone staying in their house, for this reason.

fancythat Fri 03-Mar-23 08:56:13

Ours is a reputable local company and is 60 days.

Katie59 Fri 03-Mar-23 08:46:23

Google house insurance for 100 day holiday

There are several companies

Georgesgran Fri 03-Mar-23 08:43:37

I think that’s a fairly normal clause, I’ve a feeling mine is 30 days. I’m sure you could pay an additional premium for extra cover.

Katie59 Fri 03-Mar-23 08:40:40

I’m sure you could if you paid more, but it would be on an individual quotation for your particular circumstances. You need to ask for special cover.

Framilode Fri 03-Mar-23 08:27:33

We have a holiday home abroad and like to spend two to three months there twice a year.

We have been informed by our insurance company that we cannot leave our main residence in the UK unoccupied for more that 60 days per annum because that invalidates the insurance.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. If anyone has an insurance company that offers more than 60 days I would be grateful if you could let me know the company.