Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

passport photo codes

(13 Posts)
truman Sun 17-Mar-24 10:24:02

Does anyone know how long passport photos are valid for?

Thanks

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 17-Mar-24 10:35:58

Until you no longer resemble the person in the photo?

TinSoldier Sun 17-Mar-24 10:38:00

You must get a new photo when you get a new passport, even if your appearance has not changed. Your photo must have been taken in the last month.

www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports/photo-requirements

BlueBelle Sun 17-Mar-24 10:39:50

When your passport runs out

Wheniwasyourage Sun 17-Mar-24 10:46:04

I think it’s a month, but it says on the photos if you get them from a kiosk. Don’t have mine handy to check, sorry.

Calendargirl Sun 17-Mar-24 10:47:33

How do they know if it’s been taken in the last month?

Wheniwasyourage Sun 17-Mar-24 10:47:59

Ah, I assumed you meant how long are new photos with a code valid before you can’t use them to apply for a new passport. If you did mean that, my previous answer applies. If not, oops!

Wheniwasyourage Sun 17-Mar-24 10:49:08

Presumably the code tells them, Calendargirl.

TinSoldier Sun 17-Mar-24 10:58:01

There is no requirement that a passport photo be time or date stamped but if it is not a recent and recognisable image, you may be asked to provide a countersignature to prove your identity.

Some paper passport applications and photos must be signed by someone else (the ‘countersignatory’) to prove the identity of the person applying.

including:

renewal of a passport if your appearance has changed and you cannot be recognised from your existing passport

www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

truman Sun 17-Mar-24 11:16:14

Sorry. I meant to ask how long are the codes on the photos valid for, if you renew online.

biglouis Sun 17-Mar-24 11:22:16

I had a real ball ache over my most recent passport photo. They refused twice to accept a perfectly good image which my nephew took. In the end I pushed the fact that I was disabled, had no transport and could not get to a commercial booth. When I included that info they accepted it third time around,

The annoying thing is I dont intend to travel again. I need photo ID (and dont drive) because I do a international money transfers for my business so more or less had to get a new one. I am sure it will see me out.

biglouis Sun 17-Mar-24 11:26:10

There was a thread on Mumsnet about how someone had difficulty getting a suitable person to give a counter signature for their passport. Ive done 3 in the last 6 months because people are increasingly being required to have photo ID even when they never intend to travel.

Mel1967 Sun 17-Mar-24 11:28:50

Passport Code is valid for 30 days