Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Threatened with legal action (follow on from potential scam thread)

(58 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Cillafan Tue 04-Aug-26 15:23:34

Hello again, further to the related thread about vendors deposit scam, the woman from New York phoned, I blocked each call, but she kept on ringing, so I though I'd get it out of the way, because I said I can't (and now won't) release the £4000 vendors deposit required, she has threatened me with legal action, I stupidly signed the commitment to sell form, I said I've told my Solicitor everything (I don't currently have one, she doesn't know that), can I be prosecuted from the USA (or Philippines) over what is obviously a scam ?.........could I be extradited ?.......I'm very naive about the legal system, I don't want to end up in Sing-Sing !......shock

Cillafan Wed 12-Aug-26 09:50:22

M0nica

You should have told him your mother could not down load pornography as she did not own a pornograph, and then ask where she could buy one and what brands were available.

DH did this when he got a similar call. they did not bother him again.

Yes, your post made me laugh also !........smile

For the rest of the year at least, I've blocked international calls on my landline, I don't know anyone abroad, never have, in fact I think I'll leave it permanently !

Shel1951 Tue 11-Aug-26 11:02:23

Monica, I must remember that,sounds like it could be a fun phone call

JenniRen Tue 11-Aug-26 10:56:51

M0nica

You should have told him your mother could not down load pornography as she did not own a pornograph, and then ask where she could buy one and what brands were available.

DH did this when he got a similar call. they did not bother him again.

😂😂😂

Oh, that's cheered me up! Must remember that one.

M0nica Tue 11-Aug-26 10:38:51

I have never received any call of this nature, even though I do hold shares in a couple of large companies and have for 30 years or so.

But if I think a call may be a scam I just ring off immediately, so never find out what it is about.

I was scammed for the first time this last weekend. My bank picked it up immediately. I clicked on a scam website when googling a subject. It was only £30 a month and I would have seen it on my bank statement as I check it each month and cancelled it then, but I have no illusions that any of us, is so on the ball we can never be scammed. We are all always vulnerable.

Cillafan Tue 11-Aug-26 09:54:36

M0nica

GRAMERCY

I just wanted to say that I never answer my phone unless I know who it is. I have caller id. My friend answers all calls and then complains about scams, I tell her to ignore it. If the phone call is important they will leave an answer message. Simple!

I answer all and every call as I have people ringing me about all kinds if things and I do not necessarily know their phone numbers.

Despite that I have no memory of ever receiving a spam phone call on my mobile phone.

We used to get a few on the landline in our old home, but none on the VOIP phone since moving

Yes, she phoned on the landline a few weeks ago now, apparently scammers can obtain lists of shareholders addresses and phone number, I've looking up about how scammers operate, and everything fits, a hurry to return forms, possible legal action, false hostile bids, lengthy phone calls with meticulous detail of transaction, vendors deposit required, and an unknown business (to send the £4000 to) in the Philippines was when I realised it was all fake, I've never been scammed before, hence my naivety.........smile

M0nica Mon 10-Aug-26 20:45:58

You should have told him your mother could not down load pornography as she did not own a pornograph, and then ask where she could buy one and what brands were available.

DH did this when he got a similar call. they did not bother him again.

Esmay Mon 10-Aug-26 19:42:09

Some years ago ,
my mother phoned me on her house phone.
She was completely hysterical .
I could hardly understand what she was saying .
I went to her house to sort it out.
An Indian man was phoning her and threatening to send the Police round to arrest her as she was downloading illegal pornography on her computer .
The phone rang .
I picked it up and listened to the appalling diatribe .
He seemed to be vastly amused by his antics judging by the laughter in his echoing office .
I said that my mother technically blind ,hadn't got and didn't know how to use a computer and wasn't familiar with pornography .
There were a couple more calls from his office from other people .
I was so annoying on the phone - not answering directly , but deliberately misinterpreting what they were trying to say that they gave up phoning.
I've employed this technique since .
I block any unknown call on my phone.

M0nica Mon 10-Aug-26 19:28:46

GRAMERCY

I just wanted to say that I never answer my phone unless I know who it is. I have caller id. My friend answers all calls and then complains about scams, I tell her to ignore it. If the phone call is important they will leave an answer message. Simple!

I answer all and every call as I have people ringing me about all kinds if things and I do not necessarily know their phone numbers.

Despite that I have no memory of ever receiving a spam phone call on my mobile phone.

We used to get a few on the landline in our old home, but none on the VOIP phone since moving

Cillafan Fri 07-Aug-26 08:22:03

JenniferEccles

I don’t have anything to add to the good advice you’ve already been given but I just wanted to say it was very sensible of you to come on to Gransnet and explain your situation, of how you nearly lost a substantial amount of money.
It’s quite possible by relaying your story on here, you could have saved others from the clutches of these vile individuals. There are a lot of them about, unfortunately.

I hope you have a very enjoyable cruise.
The Norwegian Fjords are so beautiful.
If you are an early riser, you can sit on your balcony or one of the decks with a tea or coffee and watch the ship slowly sailing along,
The perfect way to forget the loathsome
‘Carol’ !

Thank you for your kind words, I've been looking up about how scammers work, and the tactics they use, they want a form signed straight away, legal action, wearisome phone calls, using legitimate business offices as a cover, sending money to companies which don't exist in far away places (like the Philippines !) and much more, I'll put it all behind me know, as mentioned a proper company wouldn't slam the phone down on a 'customer', thankfully I've been saved, looking forward to some fresh, Norwegian air now !......smile

JenniferEccles Thu 06-Aug-26 11:19:45

I don’t have anything to add to the good advice you’ve already been given but I just wanted to say it was very sensible of you to come on to Gransnet and explain your situation, of how you nearly lost a substantial amount of money.
It’s quite possible by relaying your story on here, you could have saved others from the clutches of these vile individuals. There are a lot of them about, unfortunately.

I hope you have a very enjoyable cruise.
The Norwegian Fjords are so beautiful.
If you are an early riser, you can sit on your balcony or one of the decks with a tea or coffee and watch the ship slowly sailing along,
The perfect way to forget the loathsome
‘Carol’ !

V3ra Thu 06-Aug-26 10:36:23

GRAMERCY

I just wanted to say that I never answer my phone unless I know who it is. I have caller id. My friend answers all calls and then complains about scams, I tell her to ignore it. If the phone call is important they will leave an answer message. Simple!

I do exactly the same GRAMERCY.
If they're genuine I call them back.
Even if they're a scam number I save it to my phone for a while so I'm alerted to the fact if they phone again.

I remember many years ago we were trying to explain to my Mum about scam callers and how it was sensible and perfectly ok to just ignore them.
She found it all very difficult to understand.

suelld Wed 05-Aug-26 19:30:27

Shel1951

Thank heavens cillafan, with everything online and having to pay online its hard to know what's true, I ordered a bunch of gifts from what loked like a reputable company and they even had good reviews, unfortunately the things never turned up and when I contacted them they said they were sending the things on ,there was a glitch, eventually I found they were a scam company can't remember if it was Instagram or Facebook, but never again

I did the exact same Shell 951 ! A year or so ago. I knew it was a Chinese firm, as I regularly - and safely- buy via TEMU, so thought it OK. It wasn’t.! Lesson learned.

Also always research anywhere different I am buying from.

I’m well educated and at 80 still run a business in semi-retirement, a Lecturer friend, even brighter and well versed in business and admin, got ‘caught’ on the phone and lost £2,000. Luckily she went straight to the bank and they re-funded immediately, which doesn’t happen in all cases

Onetoein Wed 05-Aug-26 19:06:45

Report a suspicious phone call
If you've lost money or have been hacked as a result of responding to a phishing message, you should report it:

In England, Wales or Northern Ireland, visit www.reportfraud.police.uk/ or call 0300 123 2040.
In Scotland, report to Police Scotland by calling 101.

Marthjolly1 Wed 05-Aug-26 17:27:56

cillafan I am so sorry to read your story of being scammed recently. It's has clearly been a very upsetting and stressful time for you, especially at a time of grief when is it easy to not think as straight as you normally would. I hope this is now all over and you can put it behind you. Enjoy your holiday and have the best time.

AuntieE Wed 05-Aug-26 16:03:09

You might want to get a new phone number and SIM card for your phone, and change your email address as well.

I know how inconvenient both these steps are, as there a re a lot of people you will need to n otify, but it might just stop this scammer continually managing to contact you.

25Avalon Wed 05-Aug-26 15:41:18

Did you sign the form in the presence of a witness? If not it is not valid even if not a scam. Were you asked for photo ID which is usual before you can set up any accounts because of money laundering. I ask you these two questions to reassure you that these are not bona fide people and are just trying to put the frighteners on you. They are despicable. If you are still anxious you could speak to Citizens Advice.

GRAMERCY Wed 05-Aug-26 15:37:37

I just wanted to say that I never answer my phone unless I know who it is. I have caller id. My friend answers all calls and then complains about scams, I tell her to ignore it. If the phone call is important they will leave an answer message. Simple!

Foxyferret Wed 05-Aug-26 15:37:18

My mantra is ABC. A=Assume nothing, B=Believe no one and C=Check everything yourself.

monami Wed 05-Aug-26 15:24:58

yeah, sure

She777 Wed 05-Aug-26 14:50:36

They have no legal recourse to sue you or get you extradited. I think they will leave you alone now that you have told them that you have informed the bank of the scam.

Cillafan Wed 05-Aug-26 04:43:35

lovethepuppies

They are relying on your fear. You've got good advice here but ask yourself, even if they could take legal action, is it worth their while? Legal action is expensive, so it's not a likely thing over that amount of money anyway, especially internationally.

A good point, yes, I've been reassured the 'legal action' I've been threatened in all probability won't happen, her tone changed when I said I'll tell my solicitor everything, she just said okay, and slammed the phone down, a legitimate business would not do that I would think.

lovethepuppies Tue 04-Aug-26 22:04:09

They are relying on your fear. You've got good advice here but ask yourself, even if they could take legal action, is it worth their while? Legal action is expensive, so it's not a likely thing over that amount of money anyway, especially internationally.

Shel1951 Tue 04-Aug-26 21:33:37

Advertised on Facebook or Instagram

Shel1951 Tue 04-Aug-26 21:32:50

Thank heavens cillafan, with everything online and having to pay online its hard to know what's true, I ordered a bunch of gifts from what loked like a reputable company and they even had good reviews, unfortunately the things never turned up and when I contacted them they said they were sending the things on ,there was a glitch, eventually I found they were a scam company can't remember if it was Instagram or Facebook, but never again

David49 Tue 04-Aug-26 21:28:25

If they have your phone number they will change phone numbers and continue how ever much you block them, I would change my phone number of at least allow certain numbers like friends and family.

Of you think your bank is at risk close the account and open another