Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Starling Bank Account, so straightforward.

(8 Posts)
Missfoodlove Fri 22-Jan-21 09:57:43

I needed to open a new bank account as I am becoming disgruntled with my current bank, they are now owned by Virgin money and their online app is dreadful and customer service is poor.

I was dreading the process, my husband warned me it would be long drawn out and painful!

10 minutes on my mobile phone and a Starling account was set up, my bank card was added to my wallet and Apple Pay, I chose my own PIN number, brilliant.

My card arrived 3 days later, the app is brilliant, security is excellent it’s no wonder they have won so many awards.

In lockdown it was so refreshing to be able to have such a seamless experience.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jan-21 10:04:29

I read the book written by the Welsh lady who set up Starling. She battled the giants, stuck to her guns and delivered what she’d envisaged. She said the big banks had lost sight of the fact that they were there to give customer service and autonomy.

It’s said most people stay longer with their banks than in a marriage!

I’ve been with mine for 50 years - 20 years of which has been on line. I have absolutely no complaints so I won’t be changing. However, If I did want to, Starling would be the one I’d switch to!

midgey Fri 22-Jan-21 10:05:24

That is really good to hear, what an excellent advertisement you have written them! Might just go and look them up.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jan-21 10:07:28

That last para sounded a tad ambiguous. I really should preview my posts! That said, I’ve been with my bank and my husband for the same length of time!
?

Pittcity Fri 22-Jan-21 11:39:46

I use Starling and love the simplicity. They also pay interest on a current account -rare nowadays- I get tuppence most months!

Granny23 Fri 22-Jan-21 11:59:03

Very interesting, but I take it you must have a smart phone to open an account hmm

lovingit Fri 22-Jan-21 13:14:22

So easy to use I love it

Missfoodlove Fri 22-Jan-21 13:28:22

Granny23 It’s an online only account yes so you do need to be able to have a reasonable grasp of technology and access to a smart phone/tablet.

As my old bank has closed so many branches and the Post Office can deal with anything you cannot do online I saw no reason to continue with them.

The Starling app is so simple, I wish other banks could follow suit.

They also offer a separate card for a nominated person on your account.