Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Tenancy deposit scheme

(21 Posts)
Mattsmum2 Thu 05-Aug-21 12:19:44

Has anyone been through a dispute with the TDS? I left my rental house in July and nearly a month has passed and no return of deposit and no indication from landlord what deductions if any will be taken. The house was in a better state than when I moved in and I will be furious if any deductions are made. The last rental I had paid back the deposit within a week. I’ve already sent one letter giving 10 days to pay. This is up next week when my legal advisers say give them 3 days to pay then go through a dispute. I’ve got check in and check out inventories and numerous emails and evidence to show the houses condition. The house was also put up for sale a week after I left, so that must say something about it’s condition. Very frustrating as it’s nearly £2k.

jeanrobinson Thu 05-Aug-21 14:32:34

Message to future tenants (or landlords). Photograph every aspect of the property (and get photos signed) before moving in, and when moving out. I learned this by being an avid watcher of Judge Judy small claims court programmes.

Maria59 Thu 05-Aug-21 14:46:40

Don t know where you live but in Scotland where I am a landlord the deposit is held by a deposit protection agency. Tenant applies direct for refund and deposit is sent direct to them less any deduction I have made.

JaneJudge Thu 05-Aug-21 14:51:35

Is this helpful?

england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/tenancy_deposits/how_to_get_your_deposit_back

Peasblossom Thu 05-Aug-21 15:05:05

If your landlord is asking for deductions then the deposit won’t be returned until any issues are resolved.

But you should have been informed of any deductions. Was the rental through an agent or direct with the landlord?

Esspee Thu 05-Aug-21 15:06:08

I expect the landlord is concentrating on selling the house rather than seeing to outstanding rental business. I am sure if you contact the deposit holder you will learn whether or not the paperwork has been sent in by the landlord.

Sago Thu 05-Aug-21 15:13:02

It’s a nightmare,when our three children were so frustrated because of this scheme, they had so much money tied up in TDS then were expected to put huge deposits down on new rentals.

It meant we always had to step in until the TDS paid out, it can take months..

JaneJudge Thu 05-Aug-21 15:15:06

can you imagine if you don't have that fall back sago? it must put people in such precarious financial situations

Mattsmum2 Thu 05-Aug-21 21:22:11

jeanrobinson

Message to future tenants (or landlords). Photograph every aspect of the property (and get photos signed) before moving in, and when moving out. I learned this by being an avid watcher of Judge Judy small claims court programmes.

Yes I took pictures and a video when the house was empty and had been professionally cleaned when I left.

Mattsmum2 Thu 05-Aug-21 21:25:06

Esspee

I expect the landlord is concentrating on selling the house rather than seeing to outstanding rental business. I am sure if you contact the deposit holder you will learn whether or not the paperwork has been sent in by the landlord.

I’ve been in touch with the letting agent who tell me they are waiting for the landlord to reply to them about their suggested deductions. The landlord holds the deposit, the deposit money legally belongs to me.

JaneJudge Thu 05-Aug-21 21:30:12

if you are in England it should be with a deposit scheme

Mattsmum2 Thu 05-Aug-21 21:37:30

JaneJudge

if you are in England it should be with a deposit scheme

Yes it’s the TDS, insurance based which means the landlord holds the deposit.

JaneJudge Thu 05-Aug-21 21:47:01

have a look on that link i posted on shelter, there are timescales they should stick to

JaneJudge Thu 05-Aug-21 21:48:27

if they want to make deductions have you seen them? (bloody hell they are chancers) it is better to settle outside of adjudication if you can

Mattsmum2 Thu 05-Aug-21 22:00:53

JaneJudge

if they want to make deductions have you seen them? (bloody hell they are chancers) it is better to settle outside of adjudication if you can

They’ve not come back with any deductions, I’m still waiting nearly a month after moving out. Yes thanks for the details. I’ve seen something similar on other sites. If Tuesday comes and hear nothing I will be sending the agent another letter. Landlord lives abroad too so even though I’ve been dealing with the agent I’m nervous about not getting my deposit back ?

Esspee Thu 05-Aug-21 23:04:24

I’m in Scotland. Every tenant I’ve had in the past received their deposit back within the week, even the very few who had money deducted.
Now the deposit must be handed over to a third party and as I have long term tenants I have no idea how complex it will be for them to receive their deposit back. I certainly no longer have it.
Is the law not the same in England? If I don’t lodge the deposit with the third party then my tenant can take me to court and be awarded a considerable amount of compensation.

JaneJudge Thu 05-Aug-21 23:07:19

legally if the house was left as you said, you will get the money back. Document everything and if they don't respond you have to log with the deposit scheme and go to adjudication if necessary but you will get it back

JaneJudge Thu 05-Aug-21 23:07:44

adjudication etc is free btw

Mattsmum2 Fri 06-Aug-21 21:13:29

Esspee

I’m in Scotland. Every tenant I’ve had in the past received their deposit back within the week, even the very few who had money deducted.
Now the deposit must be handed over to a third party and as I have long term tenants I have no idea how complex it will be for them to receive their deposit back. I certainly no longer have it.
Is the law not the same in England? If I don’t lodge the deposit with the third party then my tenant can take me to court and be awarded a considerable amount of compensation.

As I understand it there’s two schemes. One where the scheme holds the deposit where it is fairly easy to ask for money back and an insured scheme where the deposit is held by the landlord or agent and there is an insurance that is put in place to protect all parties.

Esspee Fri 06-Aug-21 23:01:30

Thank you for clarifying that Mattsmum2. In Scotland there is no insurance option. I wish there was.

Mattsmum2 Sat 07-Aug-21 18:54:54

Esspee

Thank you for clarifying that Mattsmum2. In Scotland there is no insurance option. I wish there was.

I think there are different schemes not sure about Scotland. Hope you find something that fits for you ❤️