Gransnet forums

Local

Schools contemplating 10am start time for teenagers

(12 Posts)
Noora Mon 18-Mar-13 21:25:08

Some educationalists have suggested moving the start time to 10am as many teenagers fall asleep in class. They feel it is more in line with the teenage body clock. What do you think?

Rigmarole Thu 21-Mar-13 12:33:33

Lazy buggers - they should spend less time playing on the xbox or whatever till 3am and get some shut eye!

Noora Sat 06-Apr-13 15:27:18

Thinking similar. They can soon get up if something's going on that they are keen on! They certainly are different to us as children.

Madrigal Sat 06-Apr-13 17:34:21

My body clock demands a nice nap around 3pm - do I get one? No! Why should teenagers get special treatment? grin

Angie44 Sun 07-Apr-13 12:28:21

A lot of research has been done about teenagers and sleep and results show that due to hormones and neurological develpoment, the teenager brain is at its most productive at night and need sleep at different times from adults . Ths was certainly the case for my son who is a musician and who did most of his most creative work late into the night.

Sandygran Sun 07-Apr-13 20:33:58

Teeenagers will need an early start when they go to work so best to be prepared!

Wayfinder Sun 07-Apr-13 23:45:17

There is plenty of research to show that a later start to the day for teenagers actually produces far better results in terms of their work.
I've never understood why getting up early is "good" and having a later start to your day is "bad". I have never been a morning person. Not when I was a child, and not now! Doesn't make me 'lazy' and it doesn't mean teenagers are 'lazy' either!

Noora Wed 10-Apr-13 05:52:03

Certainly lots of opinion on our lovely teenagers! My grandson aged 16 certainly fits the up late, sleep late category. I think our generation had to conform to house rules compared to today where they do have influence over what's best for them.

janthea Fri 12-Apr-13 13:38:56

So what will happen to them when they finally go out to work - ask if they can start late as they are used to getting up late!!

I don't ever remember staying in bed late as a teenager. I think we are just pandering to the latest bit of 'research'. This will probably be overridden by another piece of 'research' in time!

Wayfinder Fri 12-Apr-13 21:48:10

They will adapt. We humans are very good at adapting smile

Wayfinder Fri 12-Apr-13 21:55:24

I stayed in bed as late as possible as often as possible as a teenager, and still do!! grin
Some of us just aren't designed for early mornings. I have however always got up early for work when i have had to, including right now, when I start work at 8.30 am 3 days a week. Hate it, but do it. Same when I was a teenager, or a mother of a young family for that matter!
I really do hate when people underestimate teenagers. I've worked extensively with teens, and love 'em!

GUnan Mon 22-Apr-13 18:01:49

janthea why do you not respect the research on this?

I feel that sometimes we just want everyone and everything to be the way we are /have been but without research all sorts of medical improvements would not have happened. Recent brain research is a fascinating area and has helped to understand all sorts of things. No-one is saying that teen-agers should not have to do anything ever until later in the day but if research shows that they are more receptive to learning and interaction at particular times why not use this to their benefit?? Personally I am a 'morning' person and am not much use work wise between 3:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. but perk up again in the evening!