Gransnet forums

Local

New Years resolution to get fit and lose some weight along the way.

(4 Posts)
Dianeayr Thu 16-Jul-15 21:29:13

Well after doing pretty well, and losing over a stone, I seem to be stuck on a 'plateau' at the moment. I have bought myself some super strength raspberry ketones (half price in Holland & Barratt at the moment). I have heard some good things about them, has any gransnetters used them? And if so, did you find they helped?
Diane

Dianeayr Tue 27-Jan-15 20:51:56

Nice to hear from you never2old, I will have to take a look at the Tesco site you mentioned, never even knew it existed! I have today done my third Therapeutic swim class. I like it very much and do seem to be getting some benefit from it. The only downside is that I personally find the water a little too cold, I have Raynaud's syndrome and my hands go completely numb in the cold water which is not nice. I have already done three sessions at the gym, only using certain pieces of equipment due to my arthritis, they are ones that the staff advised. I am taking it slowly at first, only staying around half an hour a time. It is enough at the moment, though I am hoping to slowly increase the time I spend there and also use more of the equipment. Have to say I didn't realise I was so unfit until I started going, I am just hoping that after I have been going for a while, the pain in my joints, especially my back. Will report back...

never2old Mon 26-Jan-15 18:04:19

Hi Diane

I'm from over on the Rochdale site. I just saw your post on facebook. Yes I started dieting just before Christmas which was a bad time to start a diet. I lost 3lb then put it back again over Christmas. So I started again after new year and I've lost 4lb up to now. I joined Tesco Health and Wellbeing site. I'd been following them for ages on Twitter and never realised their diet site is now totally free. It used to be a pay for one, I used it about 10 years ago and lost weight then. www.tescohealthandwellbeing.com/home

It's basically a diary type log your food and count calories thing but there's a lot more to it too. You get badges and points to keep you motivated. There is also an app to go with it which is really good for both Android and for the iphone/ipad too I think.

I've also been doing exercise too. I ride a bike anyway when its not snowing, raining or freezing cold (about 2 months out of the year haha). I've just bought a walking exercise DVD which is quite good, though I would think it would get a bit monotonous if I did it every day. I'm getting a bit concerned about my knees so I know what you mean about exercise and arthritis, you have to be careful you don't over do it. I don't know if it's arthritis in my case though as they only really hurt when walking uphill, its like a nail being driven through my knee caps.

I think once you start to lose a couple of pounds you become more motivated to carry on and once your clothes start to get baggy that's an even bigger motivator. I've always found keeping up going to a gym difficult. It's fine once you're there, its dragging yourself out of the door in the first place that used to get me but each to their own. As far as exercise goes they say you should go by the Nike tagline don't think about it "just do it"

Dianeayr Sat 24-Jan-15 17:21:47

I suffer with arthritis, which I'm sure some of you can relate to. The pain has been getting so bad that I visited my doctor who referred me to physio. Because the pain is in multiple joints there is no one area that he could work on so he gave me some leaflets and an exercise sheet especially designed for people with arthritis. He also advised me to visit our local sports centre who do a class called a 'Therapeutic swim', exercises using the water to keep the pressure off your joints. He also said to join the gym, as they could suggest equipment and things to do without putting pressure on my joints. I have now started both of these things, but have to admit it was hard at first. I am determined to keep going though, apparently being fitter helps with easing the pain and I also want to lose some weight. Have any of you made this same resolution and if so, how is it going, I would love to know and if any of you have any tips to offer. It is too easy to give up when you're doing it on your own, and it would be nice if we could make this thread a place to go and post how you're getting on and maybe give each other encouragement to keep going. Over to you ladies.......