Gransnet forums

Local

Local Birmingham Meetup

(73 Posts)
frankie65 Mon 15-Jun-15 23:45:25

Is anyone interested in meeting up to have a coffee and chat? Somewhere central might be nice as most buses and trains go into the city centre. A day time or evening meet-up would give us the opportunity to chat and put the world right! Some suggestions for meeting venues .... Central Library, Edwardian Tea Rooms in Birmingham Art Gallery, Pavilions shopping centre or in one of the many hotel bars in the centre of Birmingham. What do you think?

Nonnie Fri 14-Aug-15 11:39:14

Thought you might like to see this:

ichoosebirmingham.com/birthdays-galore-chocolate-for-everyone/

Elrel Sat 15-Aug-15 10:16:17

I don't think rucksacks are a problem, may depend on size. Cranberry - (as you probably know!) there are three entrances, main on Chamberlain Square (steps), lift round to the side and another (steps) at the back. Nowhere to sit and wait except at the top of the main entrance internal stairs which is on the way to the Round Gallery, Gift Shop and Tea Room. Was really looking forward to meeting you all but am out of Birmingham and unlikely to be able to get an early enough train. Enjoy!

Tegan Sat 15-Aug-15 11:03:09

It will be a problem if I turn round suddenly and break something pricewww.youtube.com/watch?v=WED6Te_-rQgless
..this link won't work by the way, it's another thing on my pooter that no longer fundtion properly sad...

Nonnie Sat 15-Aug-15 12:42:01

So where shall we meet if there are so many entrances? According to the BBC it will be dry on Monday so why not meet by the floosie in the jacusi at 1130 and wait until 1145 then go in? Anyone arriving later than that can look for the others inside inside. Just a suggestion happy for any other solution.

cranberry Sun 16-Aug-15 00:06:01

Much better idea Nonnie, the Floozy at 11.30.

Tegan Sun 16-Aug-15 19:21:51

Train ticket sorted for 9.30 so should be in Brum for 10.30 unless I get on the wrong train [or miss my stop, in which case I'll have a cup of tea in Cardiff and think of you instead]#aninnocentabroad

Elrel Sun 16-Aug-15 23:04:40

She's become the Flirt in the Dirt since Brum's wonderful Parks Department did some inspired planting in the dry scruffy fountain.

Elrel Sun 16-Aug-15 23:11:23

Just booking ticket and setting alarm. I am 4'10", white hair which needs a trim, glasses, polka dot walking stick. Will have a black backpack tomorrow. Probably wearing blue sweatshirt with pink peonies.

Nonnie Mon 17-Aug-15 09:39:31

Just about to leave by car so see you there depending upon the traffic.

grandfriend Mon 17-Aug-15 16:37:02

You look a very active group. My local one is not so busy.

Nonnie Mon 17-Aug-15 16:40:19

Good to meet you all, sorry I had to dash off. Looking forward to the next time and hope a few more will join us.

cranberry Mon 17-Aug-15 17:16:32

Really enjoyed meeting you all, hopefully it will not be not too long before I see you again.

Elrel Tue 18-Aug-15 10:52:59

Indeed! 'When shall we four meet again?' - perhaps with a few more GNs. There must be quite a few of us in the WM area.
It was well worth my early wake up and train from London to meet you all. Tegan and I looked at Birmingham from the 9th floor of the Library and found out that the place for delving into family history is the 4th floor.

Tegan Tue 18-Aug-15 18:20:06

Just got back! Went to the 4th floor today and stood at the information desk where the two people on duty totally ignored me and just walked away confused. So I asked a lady on floor 3 and she pointed me to the machine that I had to register on and it looked a bit complicated so I decided to do that another time and went back to the art gallery. Sad to find that the dinosaurs have gone [was told one of them had been made of papier mache anyway [that surely can't be true sad] but the Saxon Hoard was amazing. I did, of course, forget to do the Andy Warhol exhibition. Did get to Warstone Lane cemetery but it's all falling to pieces and I couldn't find our family grave sad; however did chat to a lady there [amazing who you meet in Victorian graveyards]also researching her family history and hers included murder and Broadmoore plus something else that is so secret no one seems to be able to find out what happened; I'm so envious. I now know [sort of]whereabouts everywhere is and went past The Garrison pub [of Peaky Blinders fame] whilst on the 97 bus. Today I sat on the number 8 and went past Saltley Gasworks [hurrah!!]. No one can say that I'm not an intrepid explorer now [boast emoticon].Was lovely to meet you all, by the way!! And a big thank you to Elrel for getting me to the bus stop [I've now got an A-Z] grin....

frankie65 Tue 18-Aug-15 21:30:52

Hi All

I posted the original comment about meeting up. I checked a few times and there was no answer and then forgot to come back to the site!!! I cannot believe you all met up yesterday and I missed it!!! 0sad

I will log in regularly now and will hopefully be able to join you when you next meet up. Hope you all had a good time :0)

Tegan Wed 19-Aug-15 09:51:53

That's a shame frankie. I'm sure we'll do it again. Meet ups tend to take off more when they're on the main gransnet site and this one did move from one site to another and back again over the past couple of weeks. As most of us hadn't met before I got a bit confused about who was who. The tearooms have had a make over since I was last there and it's now a lovely relaxing place to meet up. Thank you for doing the original post flowers;as has happened in other areas the more people involved the more these meet ups take off.

Nonnie Wed 19-Aug-15 10:46:13

Tegan DH has the same problem in Warstone Lane, he knows his rellies are there but can't find them. Perhaps you and he should meet up?

Tegan Wed 19-Aug-15 11:57:47

I found a 'Friends of Warstone Lane Cemetery' website last night but emailed them and it was a 'returned maeler demon wotist' [maybe they're all dead shock]!It's heartbreaking to so see it as it is now.Does your DH have a grave number; the reference grid has letters but I just have numbers. What worries me is that a lot of graves seem to have gone; however I did have repair work done when my mum was buried there so it shouldn't have looked too shabby. As I spent so much time looking at graves yesterday if you pm me a surname there is a chance that I might have seen it written somewhere. A few people who worked locally were there eating there lunch which I thought was quite nice.I'm going to contact the place at Handsworth that oversees the graveyard, although I'm almost scared that I might find something out that's upsetting.

Tegan Wed 19-Aug-15 12:19:39

Nonnie; I've just spoken to someone who was really helpful; I'll pm their details to you. I WAS looking in the right part of the graveyard as I thought the letter 'H' did ring a bell, although it's worrying that I didn't find anything.

Nonnie Wed 19-Aug-15 13:33:42

Tegan* just seen this. It was Arthur Wood. Be interesting if you did see his grave.

Tegan Wed 19-Aug-15 13:46:54

jqcemeteries.org have a list of 'inmates' with their grave numbers. Interestingly, our family grave was 1140, but 1141 had people with the same surname...I wonder if that was my family as well?

Tegan Wed 19-Aug-15 13:51:47

There are only 6 Arthur Woods there, but not in H area which was where I was concentrating my search.

Tegan Wed 19-Aug-15 15:12:47

Lovely lady from the cemeteries department has just sent me an old map of section H with our grave marked out on it. She'll do the same for you if you work out which Arthur Wood is 'yours' [if only I'd had the map yesterday; then again it was only 'being there' that has made it all clearer to me].

cranberry Thu 27-Aug-15 10:28:11

Would I be too soon to think about another meeting in a month or so before winter arrives? I think Tegan has plans to revisit Birmingham in a few weeks time.

frankie65 Thu 27-Aug-15 11:01:31

I would be interested in meeting up if you are planning another one :0)