Gransnet forums

Local

To Grow older gracefully of discracefully?

(6 Posts)
Princesstia Tue 11-Jul-17 15:26:20

I believe in growing old disgracefully, who cares what anyone else thinks about you
Do your own thing, be your own person,
Have a lover if you like, be shocking, enjoy the rest of your life as you would like to, not to please others

vampirequeen Tue 31-May-16 20:50:31

I intend to grow old as disgracefully as possible.

I had a very controlled childhood which was followed by marriage to a very controlling husband. I was seen but not heard and always concerned about what other people thought.

DH2 opened my eyes to a whole new world. What does it matter how other people view you. As long as you're not hurting anyone you should be free to do whatever you want. So at the age of fifty DH and I decided that our physical age might increase but we were going to have the childhood that both of us were denied. We laugh a lot, mess about, climb trees, ride bikes, have leaf fights in Autumn and generally play around. We also do grown up things like the Chelsea Flower Show. In fact we have the best of both worlds. We can be childlike when we want and grown up at other times.

Gone are the days when women have to become Ena Sharples and Minnie Caldwell. Now we can be whatever we want to be.

vampirequeen Tue 31-May-16 20:26:07

I intend to grow old as disgracefully as possible.

I had a very controlled childhood which was followed by marriage to a very controlling husband. I was seen but not heard and always concerned about what other people thought.

DH2 opened my eyes to a whole new world. What does it matter how other people view you. As long as you're not hurting anyone you should be free to do whatever you want. So at the age of fifty DH and I decided that our physical age might increase but we were going to have the childhood that both of us were denied. We laugh a lot, mess about, climb trees, ride bikes, have leaf fights in Autumn and generally play around. We also do grown up things like the Chelsea Flower Show. In fact we have the best of both worlds. We can be childlike when we want and grown up at other times.

Gone are the days when women have to become Ena Sharples and Minnie Caldwell. Now we can be whatever we want to be.

Clickgran Mon 30-May-16 21:52:44

Absolutely we should lead our lives the way we want to, though for me, now with cutbacks there isn't much opportunity to learn something new, which was really disappointing, when I reduced my working hours last year. I think we 60 + are far more active and out there than our mothers were. Most of them didn't have the opportunities we now have, so we should make the most of said opportunities. Ooh no I'm not ready to be beige, more orange for me!

Yorkshiregranny Tue 26-Jan-16 20:37:34

Are there any grannies out therehmm

captaingran Wed 07-Oct-15 20:53:10

Well I don't know about you but my though's as I creep into maturity is that I don't want to loose my identity nor my character. We intrinsically remain the same person as we were in our 20's albeit on the whole wiser and slower. Does the fact that you are ageing mean you should tone down who you are?
Do you think that we should live our lives the way we want to or fall into that rather beige groove that society often creates for us?