Gransnet forums

Local

Win a copy of Once Upon My Book

(73 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 03-Mar-17 14:36:00

Once Upon My Book is a story that injects fun and interaction into both writing and reading by enabling children (aged 4-7) to be the 'author' of their own book.

Through tracing the shape of letter outlines to form words and then sentences, colouring in illustration outlines and adding their own personal touches, children can really be at the centre of their own story.

All the words in Once Upon My Book are written in the precursive style taught in school and each story contains high frequency words, phonics and tricky phrases, reinforcing and building on the teaching done at school in a fun and exciting way.

We are giving away 10 free copies of the first instalment in the series, Making a Den, with a chance for you to offer your feedback to the authors. To be in with a chance of winning, just tell us your favourite book (or books) to read with your grandchildren.

Competition closes Monday 20 March.

For more details on Once Upon My Book, please visit the Facebook page.

Maggiemaybe Fri 03-Mar-17 23:12:11

All three of my little DGS love cuddling up for a story, and I love doing the honours. They all particularly enjoy the Alfie books by Shirley Hughes. Not at all influenced in any way by their Nanna Maggie, of course, who has by sheer coincidence loved those touching little stories and delightfully old fashioned illustrations ever since she read them to her own children.

In December I heard that a bookshop in the next town had Alfie's Christmas in stock and on offer, so took myself over there on a bus in a downpour just to get us each a copy. It was well worth getting drenched for!

GeminiJen Sat 04-Mar-17 09:40:16

Val McDermid, My Granny is a Pirate. All four of my grandchildren have loved this book, especially the drama and actions that go with the telling of it! What's more, it makes them look at me differently. Might I really be a pirate?!wink

dragonfly63 Sat 04-Mar-17 09:49:13

My husband and I both love reading The Jolly Postman to our granddaughter. She is the daughter of a primary school teacher and surrounded by books but this one is as loved now as it was thirty years ago,when we read it to her father. There is so much to see, read and do that we never get bored and still appreciate the humour that is there for the adult reader as well as the basic story.

jeapurs54 Sat 04-Mar-17 10:49:51

I have 2 grandaughters and when I have the opportunity of reading to them I love to read Dr Seuss to the 2 year old she finds it very funny. I also enjoy reading to the 8 year old and she reads along with me some of the favourites and David Walliams Gangsta Granny or Mr Gum she is also a big fan of any Enid Blyton Books which as a child I also enjoyed immensely. I find great pleasure in reading poetry of rhymes to them some of the more funnier ones also bring a laugh when I put my own little bits to them. It's great fun reading to youngsters and helps them to learn so much.

joannapiano Sat 04-Mar-17 13:34:35

I always enjoy reading My Cat Likes To Hide In Boxes to our two littlest DGC, and they can quote from it,now.
And guess what our cat likes to do!! (She is also very plump,but unlike the cat from Norway, doesn't get stuck in the doorway!)

Pamaga Sat 04-Mar-17 16:03:48

Grandson Charlie is only two and a half but he is obsessed with We're Going On A Bear Hunt. I think this is partly due to Helen Oxenbury's wonderful illustrations. I love reading to him as there is a splendid rhythm and repetition - we can't go over it, we can't go under it, we've got to go through it.... He also loves Meg and Mog especially the Owl. As well as reading this to him we have a DVD and Alan Bennett's voice for Owl is just as I had imagined it when reading to Charlie!

123RM321 Sun 05-Mar-17 00:34:50

I love reading my GD Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. It's her favourite book (she went to school at the Queen of Hearts for world book day) and it's so magical and fun.

reneesmith Sun 05-Mar-17 00:54:16

The Very Hungry Caterpillar smile

Lottie2tiger Sun 05-Mar-17 09:34:59

Dr Seuss oh the places we go and Charlie cooks favourite book are our current bedtime favourites. Both lovely rhyming stories.

annemac101 Sun 05-Mar-17 13:38:00

Our favourite sat the moment are the gruffalo books and The Mouse Who ate the Moon.

annemac101 Sun 05-Mar-17 13:38:55

Sorry didn't realize this comp was only local. I was directed here from Facebook.

TracyKNixon Sun 05-Mar-17 14:42:05

Room on a Broom! It always brings smiles all round!

hartley123 Sun 05-Mar-17 16:09:16

POSTMAN PAT ARE OUR FAVOURITE

beckyinman Sun 05-Mar-17 19:48:20

The Grufallo

Maggiemaybe Sun 05-Mar-17 22:56:07

This competition is on the main Gransnet site, annemac101, so I think it must be open to everyone. It's strange that we're ending up on a local page though confused

DoingTheLambethWalk Mon 06-Mar-17 11:07:50

Hi everyone - some wonderful suggestions so far, thanks for all of your entries. annemac101 don't worry, the competition is open to all but welcome to the Gransnet Lambeth site!

mandydoherty65 Mon 06-Mar-17 11:32:41

We're enjoying That's Not My Polar Bear and We're Going on a Bear Hunt at the moment, whilst my older grandson is enjoying the Harry Potter series of books

sallie Mon 06-Mar-17 14:11:56

we're going on a bear hunt,daisy loves it

wallers5 Tue 07-Mar-17 06:45:20

Books on space. Enid Blyton adventures & The Secret Garden.

GrannyGlyn Tue 07-Mar-17 12:08:49

The Gruffalo or the Gruffalo's Child. They love shouting the words out with me especially "There's no such thing as a Gruffalo"

lablass Tue 07-Mar-17 12:25:24

The very hungry caterpillar. It was my son's favourite book, too.

annie14 Wed 08-Mar-17 09:54:49

Room On The Broom and Five Minutes Peace are the grandchildrens current favourites

GrAnne2 Wed 08-Mar-17 09:55:08

Anything by Julia Donaldson but also Paper Dolls, Tyrannosaurus Drip, Oi Dog - books where you interact: finding things on the page, remembering objects, rhymes or songs... thoroughly enjoying encouraging my twin granddaughters share my lifelong love of books!

JenRen56 Wed 08-Mar-17 10:11:29

I don't get to see my three grandchildren very often and unfortunately read to them even less but I know a favourite is the hungry caterpillar. My second granddaughter is due in May and will be able to see her grow up as her parents live slightly closer. This new book would be fantastic for my youngest grandson. ?