Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Oxford

(104 Posts)
gracesmum Wed 04-Sep-13 19:09:59

I live about an hour from Oxford so had a look to see if there was a "local" GN and/or any meetups. Having drawn a blank is anybody in or around Oxford interested?

rosesarered Thu 27-Feb-14 11:52:31

Be nice to meet you there gad about smile

GadaboutGran Thu 27-Feb-14 11:30:00

Lots of great fun by the sound of it. So sorry I missed this as I'm not far away though I couldn't have been there yesterday as I was at a funeral in Bath. I must log in to GN more often as I'd love to join you in Abingdon - for a dip in the Thames or a bit of swan-upping in July?

AlieOxon Wed 26-Feb-14 19:45:01

And the chandelier wasn't us!

Soutra Wed 26-Feb-14 18:37:00

Bunkum? Moi? grin

(Still lusting after those velvet/devore jackets - I feel myself strangely drawn back!!)

rosesarered Wed 26-Feb-14 10:46:52

That's the thing about these forums isn't it? You can put any old bunkum on it!Don't worry soutra I told the museum staff at the desk that we were the local W.I. and that a cheque would be in the post to cover any damages we had incurred whilst doing the conga [although I don't know why they were so concerned, I mean, like that stuff is so OLD anyway.]

Greenfinch Tue 25-Feb-14 22:23:00

I think it was all that wine wine wineyou drank Soutra grin.

Don't believe a word of it Nonu. We were all very well-behaved as befits the organisation we were representing !! grin

Nonu Tue 25-Feb-14 22:07:12

You gals sure sound as though you had a good old beano !!
((hugs))

Soutra Tue 25-Feb-14 21:46:25

Well that was fun!! Although it is perhaps as well that we are planning to meet up in Abingdon next time as I doubt the Ashmolean would have us back again. hmm

That conga round the Egyptian gallery was perhaps not the greatest plan was it , Greenfinch? grin And whose idea was it to chat up those naice young men serving lunch??? blush
Rosesarered did sort of make up for the mayhem by buying out the shop (clearly she had been there before wink) but GNHQ will probably sack us if they ever find out that no cupcake cupcake cupcake were consumed (despite a gorgeous array thereof.)

All that apart, a thoroughy good time was had by all and it was lovely to meet you! A great day out all round smile

AlieOxon Tue 25-Feb-14 21:08:45

Definitely a good day.
Abingdon in the summer, yes?
Goodnight!

boheminan Tue 25-Feb-14 20:59:22

I had a great time too. (was relieved that I was not mistaken for one of the museum's relic'sgrin). Abingdon sounds like a good place to meet up next time...

rosesarered Tue 25-Feb-14 20:42:04

Yes, it was very good to see you all, good job they don't throw you out there after an hour isn't it? can't believe we were there for so long.Felt a bit tired when I got home, DH said 'why? you were only excercising your jaw muscles' [that man can be cruel!]

Greenfinch Tue 25-Feb-14 20:30:44

Thanks to all the Gransnetters who met up at the Ashmolean Museum today .I really enjoyed your company and it was great to see you all in the flesh. Although we all live quite a distance from each other I'm sure we all thought it was worth the effort of getting there. I hope it won't be too long before we meet up again. Is it to be Abingdon next time?

alchemillamollis Tue 25-Feb-14 08:22:57

As I feared, things are not going to plan this morning, so please don't wait for me - but I still hope to be there, albeit late!

alchemillamollis Mon 24-Feb-14 22:58:18

Can't wait! Thanks to all who helped organise...

Tegan Mon 24-Feb-14 19:42:13

... don't walk up to someone in a purple tee shirt and start talking to them like I did at the Brum meet up blush. Woman thought I was bonkers.

AlieOxon Mon 24-Feb-14 19:03:42

roses just find a purple something to carry! I was going to be clutching a purple lunch box, but I found something else in a charity shop!

rosesarered Mon 24-Feb-14 18:40:46

I know what you mean Soutra but I think I lack the imagination as I can't picture anyone that I haven't met as yet!Been frantically searching for a purple scarf [no luck as yet] so I may just have to look out for other purple scarves.It's not that big a cafe, can't see a problem [famous last words.]

AlieOxon Mon 24-Feb-14 18:32:16

......'mental picture matches the reality' ?......never!

Soutra Mon 24-Feb-14 17:34:07

Just checking we are all still on track for tomorrow? I am looking forward to meeting you all and finding out if my mental picture matches the reality.......hmm
Sadly oldgirlfriday can't be there as she has a fracture clinic appointment but I am hoping to meet up with her locally sometime soon and can report back on how disruptive interesting you all aregrin

AlieOxon Sun 23-Feb-14 14:06:12

Definitely.

rosesarered Sun 23-Feb-14 11:38:53

look forward to seeing you all. smile

alchemillamollis Sun 23-Feb-14 11:34:57

I'm getting my knickers in a twist about the possibility of running late on Tuesday...knowing me, I'll probably be early blush but if I do run late, please carry on and order lunch without me, and I'll catch up when I arrive.

rosesarered Wed 19-Feb-14 20:20:57

I like Gorki... it sounds rather Russian spy -ish and mysterious!

Gorki Tue 18-Feb-14 08:06:41

I will be there hopefully before 12 noon. You may not hear from me again as Gorki as I am trying to change my name but I will be there !grin

alchemillamollis Sat 15-Feb-14 01:37:37

Oh, I'm a Luddite who doesn't use a mobile. But I'll be there. smile