Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Plus Sized Fashion (or not)

(13 Posts)
Safetygran Mon 14-Oct-13 16:24:06

Is it me or have designers lost the plot? checked out a new website for plus sizes which looked as if they were designed for the 25 - 35 age group, definately over-priced and nothing that I would wear. Bright, jazzy patterns and dropped hems? What has happened to reasonably-priced, elegant clothes that I (22/24 and 70) could wear to the office and business meetings. I don't want skin-tight low-cut tops, badly cut trousers and jackets that accentuate my hips. On the other hand, I don't want to dress like a frump. All my local stores such as Evans, Bon Marche, Anne Harvey have closed and all 3 local TK Maxx stores no longer stock anything above a 20. As I travel for my job, I am having to buy my clothes abroad. sad

JessM Mon 14-Oct-13 17:23:53

Must be frustrating. I know what it is like trying to find things for my chunky husband.
There are a lot of big, young women around these days so I suppose they are wanting fashionable clothes and are a new target market.
Dropped hems are an abomination aren't they?

ninathenana Mon 14-Oct-13 17:31:23

Have you tried Tesco, Asda.
I like Yours clothing or what about catalogues, Marrisota, Fiftyplus.

glammanana Mon 14-Oct-13 17:31:29

Have you tried your John Lewis store or House of Fraser they stock alot of good designers,and didn't an off shoot of "Evans" open up in BHS stores or did they stop selling there,Ann Harvey on line is good and for the special outfit Jaques Vert is on line and they have consessions in some of the bis well known store's.best of luck.

gracesmum Mon 14-Oct-13 17:44:09

Have you looked at Box2, safetygran?? They do some lovely things, all flattering, all beautiful quality. German and Scandinavian designer/labels (such as Grizas, 2 Danes) still seem to have "real women" in their sights!

Elegran Mon 14-Oct-13 17:50:30

Ann Harvey are apparently transferring the name to another company, who will be relaunching the clothes in 2014.

janerowena Mon 14-Oct-13 21:31:07

Matalan have a few nice pieces too, in their office range. Also Store 21 if you have one near you. Yours, as already mentioned. There are still some Peacocks open, too.

Angelstardust Tue 15-Oct-13 15:11:33

You said it.

NfkDumpling Tue 15-Oct-13 16:49:37

Cotton Traders? Mostly casual but they do have some smart stuff. Also their sizes have become more generous of late - good for the ego.

kittylester Tue 15-Oct-13 16:57:18

Just last Season is a good website and, my favourite, 'Chesca' not necessarily for work though thlgrin

annodomini Tue 15-Oct-13 17:55:54

One of the best things about Cotton Traders is that they give a good choice of trouser length.

Flowerofthewest Tue 15-Oct-13 19:57:17

have you tried Gudrun Sjoden or Daretobe.

LMBuswell Fri 12-Sep-14 07:12:48

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.