Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

grandparents alone and estranged from family

(15 Posts)
marylane1996 Fri 02-Jan-15 13:02:02

Hi i am very new to gransnet and lost my husband years ago. Very difficult retiring as although my daughter is only a half hour drive away she is very possessive of my grandchildren so i only see them monthly if i am lucky!! Work as a volunteer in a local school which i love but wd be great to have contact other grans on their own to chat.

Eloethan Fri 02-Jan-15 13:29:50

Hello marylane1996. I hope you had a relaxing Christmas. Sorry to hear that you see your grandchildren less than you would like but it's good that you enjoy volunteering in a school.

Rather than seeking one-to-one chats with Gransnetters, it might be better in the first instance to view - and perhaps contribute to - the various threads on here so that you can identify the people with whom you might have most in common. Also, although it is nice to form personal relationships with one or two people, it is also quite enjoyable to be part of the wider forum. Even people whose views you find you often disagree with can be supportive, funny and interesting.

TerriBull Fri 02-Jan-15 13:56:09

Hello and welcome marylane, sorry to hear about your plight. There is a thread on GN called "cut out of their lives" which speaks for itself, although fortunately you are not entirely in that situation. There are some very sad stories on that thread, but the contributors do offer a lot of mutual support. Equally I am sure you will be welcomed on to any of the other forums that you opt to contribute to.

kittylester Fri 02-Jan-15 14:25:40

Hi Marylane and welcome to our fabulous community! sunshine

I think what Eloethan says is worth taking on board. Read lots of other threads and join in!

There are sometimes local meetups to - where do you live?

Anya Fri 02-Jan-15 14:34:09

Welcome Marylane

Grannyknot Fri 02-Jan-15 14:50:23

HI Mary welcome! As a Gransnetter on the forums you will certainly come across a while range of people from all walks of life, all involved in their particular way of working out life's problems - little and large! I wouldn't be without it.

There's lots of fun and other general mayhem too. See you in Soop' s Kitchen (look for the thread, it's always fun in there).

Grannyknot Fri 02-Jan-15 14:51:04

A whole range - not while! Tsk. smile

granjura Fri 02-Jan-15 21:37:23

Welcome marylane - no need for detail, but which part of the country are you in (I am ex East Leics, but now in my native Switzerland).

Agus Fri 02-Jan-15 22:18:22

A warm welcome Marylane you are sure to find many understanding friends here and I look forward to chatting with you.

I do hope your present situation can change to enable you to be involved in your grandchildrens lives much more than they are at the moment.

marylane1996 Sat 03-Jan-15 12:40:59

thanks so much for the supportive messages. I live in the north west between Liverpool and Manchester and will take up the advice of joining onto the threads with my comments. Look forward to hearing from anyone who fancies a chat i am very much into theatre and cinema!

glammanana Sat 03-Jan-15 12:50:08

Hello marylane I am not too far from you in NW I live right on the Riverfront on The Wirral overlooking Liverpool,enjoy reading and contributing to any threads which you find interesting we are a very friendly lot and have all different views on all sorts of topic's.

marylane1996 Sat 03-Jan-15 12:56:47

hello glammanana you are right you are not far away in fact you are close to my grandchildren. I used to take them for walks on the Riverfront and get thoroughly exhausted...always somewhere to find good food i remember.I love reading too and read anything from autobiographies to a chick lit anything that holds my attention. Books will have to be laid down for a while as i have joined a ramblers group locally and am determined to walk more instead of being lazy in the armchair! Hope to hear from you.

glammanana Sat 03-Jan-15 13:07:48

marylane As you enjoy reading you should join our Book Club you will find some really good reads available for discussion,also you can apply for books on the "Books Giveaways" which we have I have been lucky enough to get some good reads over the past few years.It sounds as though you have a plan with regard to your joining a Ramblers Club nothing better than a walk whilst chatting with like minded members,enjoy.

marylane1996 Sun 04-Jan-15 12:39:02

hi glammanana thanks for the reply looking forward to getting fit with all the walking planned you never know i might lose some weight. It is so difficult to get motivated when you look out and its cold and foggy but its got to be done! I will join the Book Club sounds perfect for me

Marelli Sun 04-Jan-15 15:58:30

Hello marylane1996 - very pleased to meet you. smile